Reef nutrition

BAR on Facebook

Sure. I'd suggest starting a new thread letting all members share their marketing ideas. That will be a good starting point to prioritize and divide n conquer...

I think having a FB page for discussion splits the community. You wan't the community discussing things in one place so the community grows. Having different discussions in different places fractures the community. A FB page for meeting announcements is great, but I don't think it should be for anything else because you want the traffic here.

Rich, makes sense. Thats where removing the "group" and keeping the "page" makes sense so its more outbound marketing...

I for one would like to see better site features before "social" works. And where is our working DBTC program? That was like, forever ago.

Yes - getting duck in a row before expanding is really important. From what I can see and have been told, it might be good to look at BAR as a new organization for the time being and concentrate on shoring up the foundational aspects of the club.

I for one would like to see better site features before "social" works. And where is our working DBTC program? That was like, forever ago.
Neuro is working on it. Its a huge job, and he's one, unpaid, volunteer. Be patient. I want it back too. Wish it never left, but unless you wanna do something to help, complaining is just unproductive. And besides, you'd have to become a supporting member again in order to participate in dbtc.

I don't see what I posted as a complaint Mike. I just asked where it is. I had offered multiple times to help the website back during the transition and was pushed to the wayside.

I would gladly become a paying member again, if I saw something worth actually paying for in 2015.

Ok well it didn't seem constructive at all either. Maybe you should offer to again now that somebody is actually working on it. Maybe neuro could use a hand. I don't do computers and have no idea how it works. Maybe it wouldn't help him. There are, on the other hand, several other things the club could use a hand with. Pm me if you really wanna Eli make this a better club, I'll try and find you a job:). I'm sorry you seem to feel like you tried once and it didn't work out, that no reason to not help now though IMO. I offered my help multiple times during the year I wasn't on the bod, and it was never take , and I'll admit that it was frustrating and didn't make sense to me at the time why people weren't taking me up on my offers to help. Instead of turning my back and watching the club spiral downward in a time of need I stepped up and am now Vice President. I hope I can help the club reach its potential that we all know it has.

I don't see what I posted as a complaint Mike. I just asked where it is. I had offered multiple times to help the website back during the transition and was pushed to the wayside.

I would gladly become a paying member again, if I saw something worth actually paying for in 2015.

Ok well it didn't seem constructive at all either. Maybe you should offer to again now that somebody is actually working on it. Maybe neuro could use a hand. I don't do computers and have no idea how it works. Maybe it wouldn't help him. There are, on the other hand, several other things the club could use a hand with. Pm me if you really wanna Eli make this a better club, I'll try and find you a job:). I'm sorry you seem to feel like you tried once and it didn't work out, that no reason to not help now though IMO. I offered my help multiple times during the year I wasn't on the bod, and it was never take , and I'll admit that it was frustrating and didn't make sense to me at the time why people weren't taking me up on my offers to help. Instead of turning my back and watching the club spiral downward in a time of need I stepped up and am now Vice President. I hope I can help the club reach its potential that we all know it has.

Regarding the facebook account for BAR: When we spoke of it originally, my point was to draw the discussion to our forums. Like I mentioned R2R does it well, without separating the audience.

@tr1gger, @Thales, @Coral reefer (dan, rich, mike, resepctively):

I apologize if I sent out an email to anyone asking for help but did not follow up. I think it was only to a few of you. The learning curve for developing for Xenforo is extremely high when you are dealing with databases, templates, ajax, java, css, and python. It took me at least a few months of trial and error to figure out a lot of things that were (and still) not documented (which is almost everything). I couldn't live with myself if I simply sent you links to all of the youtube videos, tutorials, and code to sift through without teaching an intro class in-person and how it applies to our forum. That would be irresponsible.

Even then, I thought, would anyone still be interested in helping? Worst case scenario, you'd have to devote as much time as I did to understanding things, which would severely tax your time even if you had programming experience. Even small "to-do's" require a breakdown of how XenForo works along with a backend download, coupled with access information that I have to sort out for you and be responsible for. Further, there weren't a whole ton of small to-do's that were on our priority list. This made it seem like a holding a class wasn't going to be as productive as I had hoped. I'm not trying being offensive or obtrusive, I'm just trying to be pragmatic and realistic.

DBTC is already done, in fact, it's been done for at least a month and a half. Additionally, I had been working on a separate "my dbtc" page but it's on the back burner. I have to finish the rest of the back-end code for that (your dbtc donations, biggest contributions, most active, etc, blah blah) and that can take a while, albeit easy to write. I am not going to pursue the 'my dbtc' actively for the time being as I want to get the basics installed and needed the holidays to rest from doing any additional work when I got home from my day job.

All of the code and front end has already been written and somewhat bug tested. I can't test 100% of everything myself, so some of it will have to be sorted out once I install it. I've tested a lot of out-laying cases, and fixed the bugs associated with that.

Why haven't I installed it? I've already pinged them last month, but I'm waiting on @denzil and @Bluprntguy (denzil and philip) to have some free time for them to sit there and watch me add the DBTC code to our website. We agreed we would do it in the new year. In the unlikely event something blows up, I have two other eyes on the problem that have a much better understanding of how our service provider works to figure out where the problem lies or if we need to revert to something that isn't broken.

I'm happy to answer any questions. I can also post a screen cap of what the setup looks like. Webadmins will probably need a breakdown of things once I install it, to help address certain requests.

Back