Jestersix

Building a new aquarium monitor & controller

...But we're hoping you put one of these inside your tank so everyone can see it...

Interesting thought.
I currently have all the ugly probes and stuff in my sump.
But that does have downsides. PH is not the same due to skimmer aeration.

So if it is small enough with no wires ... I could put it in main display tank.

Although temp probes really need to be in the same container as the heating element.
If return pump stops, that would be bad. Hmm..

Interesting thought.
I currently have all the ugly probes and stuff in my sump.
But that does have downsides. PH is not the same due to skimmer aeration.

So if it is small enough with no wires ... I could put it in main display tank.

Although temp probes really need to be in the same container as the heating element.
If return pump stops, that would be bad. Hmm..

There's just one cable! all black, thickness of a normal USB cable :)

Hmm, that's an interesting use-case that I suspect is not uncommon; I'll bring it up with the engineering team!

@BAYMAC better response: For the production FishBit we're (planning) to use ultrasonic welding to waterproof the electronics! But for right now we're using a gasket (o-ring)

Alex, one of the existing reef controllers on the market allows you to run multiple temp probes I imagine specifically for the same issue that Mark brought up. Perhaps to address the issue a second probe could be an optional addition of some sort... I would imagine that the wire from the probes/sensors to the controller will be proprietary so I'm not sure if an additional module for a "sump probe" would be in order or a second independent temp input is more feasible, just a thought :)

Aww man, I must have missed the update on this and didn't get in on the beta on time. Funnily enough, I sent your team a message, @Alex Uribe, commending you guys on your product.

Would love to speak with you guys in person about your product and what you guys have in store for the future. :)

Aww man, I must have missed the update on this and didn't get in on the beta on time. Funnily enough, I sent your team a message, @Alex Uribe, commending you guys on your product.

Would love to speak with you guys in person about your product and what you guys have in store for the future. :)

Haha, nice! And absolutely, I bet you have some great ideas :)

Find someone from BAR to fill in for the lost backer?
I'm not sure if they're from BAR, not a name I recognize and I can't direct message them yet! I'm wondering if they stumbled on the KS at the right time and picked it up LOL. We hadn't shared the fact with anyone outside of BAR...

Hey all! we're doing some design research for our mobile app, would love to chat with anyone interested in helping :D

DM and we can coordinate

Alex, great seeing you two at REEFstock a couple weeks ago. Like I said at that event, feel free to email anytime for help (Gresham in case you forget the screen name)

Hey All,

We've been heads down for a long time in the development process and a bit silent but we promise that we've been working hard. We're finally ready to launch another kickstarter but this time for the production version!

We're planning to go live with it tomorrow but wanted to give everyone here a head up and get thoughts and feedback from our kickstarter preview:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1758456789/823758501?token=2fd9aa7f

It's the result of a lot of help from you guys and we really feel like being a part of this community has accelerated Fishbit's timeline and product!

Great, hope it goes well!

Do I see wires on that monitor? ..... :oops:
I guess the whole wireless thing proved to be a huge pain. Not all that surprising.
Smart to keep it simple.

There is only one tiny quick view of the controller on the video. No pictures of the sensor at all. Mostly about the app.
I think I get the marketing reasoning, but makes it seem a bit less "real" for a true production round.

Great, hope it goes well!

Do I see wires on that monitor? ..... :oops:
I guess the whole wireless thing proved to be a huge pain. Not all that surprising.
Smart to keep it simple.

There is only one tiny quick view of the controller on the video. No pictures of the sensor at all. Mostly about the app.
I think I get the marketing reasoning, but makes it seem a bit less "real" for a true production round.
Yeah we decided to do a wired version for production for two reasons.

1. while its really cool and awesome wireless power isn't as reliable, which is the most important thing in a moniotr/controller.
2. Our engineering task of keeping the elctronics in the water yet still having replaceable probes is very difficult and while we were comfortable with the challenge we were getting pushed to get this product out. So by adding the wired addition we were able to finish the engineering challenges and rather work on the manufacturing process since we had already finished all the other engineering tasks.

Yeah we kept the video a little less physical product-y and were hopeful that the rest of the kickstarter would provide that information. Combined with our beta users who have been testing the system for months we really preferred to focus on the experience. We're trying for a message that this just "works out of the box" I do have units here though and I'd be happy to show any BAR's an inside look under the hood :)

Back