Jestersix

130g custom build

Hi BAR,

Wife and I are examining the possibility of putting up a 100g display with max 50g(of water volume) sump. We do have one serious concern. Our house is not on a concrete slab, but has a wood joist floor. I've looked through the internet and have seen mixed information so i thought i'd go to the place with some local real-world experience.

Original house was bult in late 1940's, the tank location would be the kitchen which was remodeled and expanded within the last 10 years.

We've had a tank with total water volume of 60 gallons in the old part of the house, and a 30g cube in the kitchen with no problems. I realize that this is all much less than what we are looking to get, but it's a starting point.

Any and all input would be great, especially contact information for anyone who could crawl under our house and give a professional opinion.

You need to see if the tank will be perpendicular to the floor joists or parallel to them n if it will sit between 2 joists or straddle them. A100g should sit above at least 1 joist if perpendicular I think.

Time to climb into the crawl space!

Not necessarily. To shore up the floor more permanently using these, you would pour a reinforced concrete block to serve as the foundation. Unless you have a concrete slab underneath your floor!?!

They could just as easily go on precast concrete piers, but in either case this would be left to a professional.

I have a contractor coming out next week to evaluate the floor.

Not necessarily. To shore up the floor more permanently using these, you would pour a reinforced concrete block to serve as the foundation. Unless you have a concrete slab underneath your floor!?!
Also, this wouldn't be a permanent location for the aquarium as we are renting the house. So we are looking for long term, but not permanent support (if needed at all)

Renting? Does your rental agreement allow this?

Most wouldn't want you modding the house anyway.

If you are putting it by a bearing wall and perpendicular to the joists, as long as the joists are sound you should be good to go. If you or your contractor can get under the house and see the support you'll be able to figure it out.

Renting? Does your rental agreement allow this?

Most wouldn't want you modding the house anyway.

If you are putting it by a bearing wall and perpendicular to the joists, as long as the joists are sound you should be good to go. If you or your contractor can get under the house and see the support you'll be able to figure it out.

Yea, we need to do this without any serious modding to the house. We are allowed to keep an aquarium. We'll shore up the floor only if needed.

The house was remodeled at some point before we moved in, and the place we are thinking of placing the aquarium is one of the remodeled/expanded rooms, so we need a professional to tell us what wall is load bearing and which direction the joists run.

Had a contractor over yesterday and he gave me the all clear. He said that i have 2x8 joists every 16 inches. and the wall it would be against is a 4x8 girder with a footing right under the tank location. there's also also part of the original foundation wall that runs under the kitchen from before it was expanded, and this would also be under the aquarium.

I put in a quote request with Neptune for a tank that is 44inches long, 2 feet wide, 20 inches high (~90 gallons). Since we are renters and may have to move, we wanted to keep it to a size that can be moved in a day with 2 people. It's also more than double the current large display we have.

I personally think a standard 120 is moveable with two people, and would be a lot cheaper than a custom tank. I am also selling a used one for cheap...
Your dimensions sound cool tho

we'd go for a standard size, but we're also trying to find a balance between maintenance costs and how big we really want. We also like the idea if a 2 foot wide tank that's not too tall. Finally, we want a corner overflow because the tank will be part of a room partition, and i want to over engineer it for strength with some eurobracing so i can run actual waves in the tank.

Just chiming in about the DSA 105 which I have and love the dimensions. I have seen online people who had eurobracing on it. You can get it with no overflows so I imagine you could have it drilled for corner overflow. No idea how the price for this compares to custom tank size.

Just chiming in about the DSA 105 which I have and love the dimensions. I have seen online people who had eurobracing on it. You can get it with no overflows so I imagine you could have it drilled for corner overflow. No idea how the price for this compares to custom tank size.
How much is the 105?

Back