Neptune Aquatics

Update on my 180 build

Hello everyone. Im sitting here waiting for my tank to fill up with water so I thought I would post some pics on what I've been doing the last month. I finally got the stand I built skinned and the doors made/mounted. I decided on a trigger systems emerald 39 sump and got it all plumbed in. I used a synergy reef overflow and a bean animal style drain system. Hopefully I did it all right, I'll find out within the hour when its full and I turn the pump on. I watched a lot of the BRS 160 build and took some ideas from there, mostly the plumbing which I really liked.

Attachments

• IMG_1848.JPG
    IMG_1848.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1857.JPG
    IMG_1857.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1862.JPG
    IMG_1862.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_1863.JPG
    IMG_1863.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1866.JPG
    IMG_1866.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1867.JPG
    IMG_1867.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_1868.JPG
    IMG_1868.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_1869.JPG
    IMG_1869.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_1870.JPG
    IMG_1870.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 239
I would paint it before you put any livestock in. Fumes that close to the tank might not be good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I fired up the pump and was at first concerned with how loud the bean animal drain was. I played around with it for a while and finally decided to cut the pipe down below the water line. I had it at about six inches below an took it down to two. After doing that it is completely silent after playing with the gate valve for a few minutes. The problem was the siphon wasn't starting with the pipe that far under the water I guess.

Looks very nice and clean!

Concern: Is return pump large enough? You seem to have a lot of valves on the return line,
and depending on what those feed, may reduce flow back to the main DT.

Hey Rygh, yea it is definitely not big enough. Im planning on getting another one, just using the ehiem for the time being. I was thinking of the new pump from ecotech or a sicce silent

Hey Rygh, yea it is definitely not big enough. Im planning on getting another one, just using the ehiem for the time being. I was thinking of the new pump from ecotech or a sicce silent

Of course, then you get to play around tuning the overflow again.
;)

Personally: I am not a big fan of tying into the return lines on larger tanks.
But that is because it seems like I keep changing all my equipment endlessly.
As you change equipment, flow goes up and down, messing with overflows.
Plus, some equipment likes higher head pressure, but the last thing you want is
to back pressure the main return itself to add pressure.
For small tanks, it makes a lot of sense. But for larger, a tougher call.

Of course, then you get to play around tuning the overflow again.
;)

Personally: I am not a big fan of tying into the return lines on larger tanks.
But that is because it seems like I keep changing all my equipment endlessly.
As you change equipment, flow goes up and down, messing with overflows.
Plus, some equipment likes higher head pressure, but the last thing you want is
to back pressure the main return itself to add pressure.
For small tanks, it makes a lot of sense. But for larger, a tougher call.

I agree with this. Especially with a bean animal setup where you have to adjust the siphon properly for flow.

I plan on running a seperate pump for reactors, that way I can turn off reactors as needed without having to readjust the drains.

I will run the calcium reactor off the main return though, it's only a small draw and I'll be running it constantly so it shouldn't be an issue.

I'll keep that in mind. The only thing I have to run off it now is my two stage brs gfo/carbon reactor. I threw the other valves in just because I wanted to be able to expand in the future. I know I'll have to readjust the bean flow rate from the drain after hooking up the reactor and changing my return pump, but once they are set my understanding is it should be good

It will be good till you have to shut down the reactors to change media or to clean, then the return will be pumping more water into your display. Your drain will go then go deeper into siphon, that will drain more water into your sump. Which may raise the water level your skimmer sits in, which may affect it. And hopefully your return can pump the extra water back into the display fast enough.

Just playing devil's advocate.

Just at a float switch to turn off skimmer. Btw vhuang you should run that calcium reactor off a masterflex for precise drip.

Last edited:
Just at a flat switch to turn off skimmer. Btw vhuang you should run that calcium reactor off a masterflex for precise drip.

I was reading up on that. So you would have the masterflex pull from the ca reactor and have the intake hose pull from the sump? Or push from the sump using the masterflex?

Push is better

I was going to use a dosing pump like a DOS but this needs to be continuous cycle and I'm not sure how long a DOS will last.

I guess that's why a lot of people use Masterflex or other medical grade dosing pumps.

Back