Reef nutrition

What's the new latest and greatest skimmer nowadays?

My skimmer pulls out bright, clear GREEN liquid. It looks like someone took a glass of water and put some drops of green food coloring in. I mean, it's not dark murky green or brownish or sludgy, just a cup of of molten emeralds. It produces a fair amount every day, now that I've clean it up ... however, I'm looking at mediumrare's used skimmer because my EV-120 is supposedly rated at 120G tanks, and is more reasonably probably good for 80-100 G, and I'm running a 180 with poop machine fish in it.

V

Thanks Charles. :)

Pretty similar in size to my tank, which is a 47G (not counting the sump). Feedings are for 5 ventralis anthias, 3 green chromis, a leopard wrasse, a pair of clowns, one ruby red dragonet, and a Hawaiian golden dwarf moray. On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday the eel gets fed, so today's smorgasbord includes: 1" piece of LRS nano, 1 cube of mini mysis (chopped with knife), 1 cube of mini bloodworms, 1 cube of spirulina enriched brineshrimp, 1 silverside (eel), 1 cube of oyster eggs, dime-size cutting of LRS eggs, plus one rotation of Otohime S1/S2 in the morning via Apex AFS. On Tuesday and Thursday, the tank is fed: 1" piece of LRS nano, 1 cube of oyster eggs, 1/16 tsp of Coral Frenzy, 1/16 tsp of decapsulated brineshrimp eggs, 1 scoop of nanoV "soft freeze" zooplankton, 1 scoop of nanoV "soft freeze" mini mysis shrimp, 1 scoop of nanoV "soft freeze" reef caviar, plus the one rotation of Otohime S1/S2 in the morning. The food is mixed together in a glass beaker with RO water and then manually fed over the course of 8 hours. The food knocks the foam head on the skimmer down so I don't bother turning it off. On the weekend, the only food fed is one portion of Otohime S1/S2 (haven't had a chance to mess w/the Apex programming for the AFS for additional feedings only on the weekends).

5% water changes are done once a week on Thursday, when I pull the skimmer after hours and clean it in the restroom (had to be after hours when folks are gone w/out the smell upsetting anyone). KNO3 is added to the tank with the NSW to bring nitrates up to 2 ppm.

IMG_1007.JPG

He is my skimz sn123. Is it just water is too clean? There is some skim, but it just light-brown water. Cant get it to skim dry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bubble level looks a bit low. Not sure what they recommend (go by that rather than guy's opinions on a message board), but usually the "fine foam" is higher in the neck before it turns to those larger bubbles.

Bubble level looks a bit low. Not sure what they recommend (go by that rather than guy's opinions on a message board), but usually the "fine foam" is higher in the neck before it turns to those larger bubbles.

Im not sure what they recommend - there are too many variables - you can open/close Air and water separately. Have no idea what to open/close - i tried to close air and opened water a little to raise water level.

I would recommend start by raising the water level in the skimmer by turning up the pump a bit. Then leave it at some level and don't touch it.
From there open up (or close) the air valve and wait. Then keep adjusting the air in small increments, waiting for a while for the skimmer to adjust itself.

See what happens, but at first only fiddle with the air with a fixed water level. In your case I would say raise the water level a bit first.

just a guess. For my AquaC, I only adjust the air and never touch the water level (controlled by a gate valve on the outlet of the skimmer).

V

Im not sure what they recommend - there are too many variables - you can open/close Air and water separately. Have no idea what to open/close - i tried to close air and opened water a little to raise water level.
Well knowing how your skimmer works and functions is a good skill to have, not just how the knobs work but how it will react to things. There are two main types of bubbles, the super small fine bubbles that you see lower down in the base (looks almost like a swirl of white stuff), then there are the bigger bubbles which brings stuff up the cup and over the edge. I like to have my bubbles at the bottom of the collection cup personally. But do like vince said raise the water level (how high the fine bubbles get) a bit, and see what happens, as long as it's not over flowing constantly raise it a bit more.

Thank you guys, I think I got general idea - will play with it and see. I heard those skimmers works best when air is almost closed

I have the eshops s-120. Still kinda fine tuning it the adjustment is real finicky and I cannot get a dry skim or at least could not find the tune for it yet. But pull some nice wet skim out. Cheap and super quite
On a 55

Back