Jestersix

Matt & Asia's 90 gal bowfront

We bought this 90 gallon bowfront tank in May 2010 from Craigslist in Dublin (CA ;). It may not be around much longer, since Matt (@coral4me) is setting up a DSA 105, but I figure we'll at least record our current tank so we can have the journal to compare. We've been procrastinating about setting up this tank journal, since I've got the original photos, so Matt wanted my help. I'll start it off with the before photos and he can fill out all the details about the dimensions and sump and all that. It is definitely full to the brim now and we are looking forward to the extra real estate the rectangular 105 will bring.

First day: Memorial Day weekend, May 2010
4 ft tank, 14 inches wide at the sides, 18 inches in the center, ___ inches tall. (20? will edit this later..) It came with the sump, skimmer, cherry stand, T5 lights, sand, live rock, fish and a few softies. We got a pretty good deal, although I don't remember what it was anymore. I think the story was the guy had bought the whole set up, brand new, and put it in his living room, while his wife was out, without telling her. Big no-no, and thus, he didn't get to keep it. Luckily for Matt, he had my approval, and we went and picked it up together.

Set up in the breakfast nook of our kitchen

Adding Sand

Rocks and water

Blue and white T5 lights

Set up with all the rocks and livestock it came with

Close up

Last edited:
Apparently the photo I took in my signature from March 2015, was the last photo I took of our whole tank. I will have to go home and remedy that later. I will also have Matt (@coral4me) add all the details. He has upgraded it quite a bit in the past 6 years..

Last edited:
So it took 6 and half years to start a journal, I think we found Gimmito's opposite he started a tank thread and took him about that long to get water in it :D

Here's hoping when your next one goes up you dont take as long, although take it from me you will soon find any free time you have go away.

Ps hopefully everything is spelled okd, 6 month olds (atleast mine) love to grab and play with my glassss so the screen is a bit fuzzy:)

So it took 6 and half years to start a journal, I think we found Gimmito's opposite he started a tank thread and took him about that long to get water in it :D

Here's hoping when your next one goes up you dont take as long, although take it from me you will soon find any free time you have go away.

Ps hopefully everything is spelled okd, 6 month olds (atleast mine) love to grab and play with my glassss so the screen is a bit fuzzy:)

In all fairness, we've only been members for about 1.5 years, but yea, we're not very good about posting! I will try to get our DSA 105 tank journal started already since Matt has done a lot of work on the stand and cleaning it up... still need a sump tho. He was drooling over that dream sump at MACNA.. ;)

Hahaha, but luckily that $4999 price tag probably slapped him back to reality :D

Although I will say to be fair, the skimmer it came with is a $1600 skimmer, the return pump is $1200, 2 of the pellet reactors run about $400 each, which only puts the sump at about $1400, which in the grand scheme of things is actually not a horrible price compared to other sumps that would be around that size... damn I almost convinced myself there that a Dreambox isn't a horrible purchase :D

War Coral (April 2014)
Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 3.55.52 PM.png

War Coral (April 2014)
Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 3.55.36 PM.png

I encouraged it to do that. ever month I'd break it into a few pieces and set them about a 1/2" apart. Then they'd grow back together and I'd do it again. This increased the growth rate by having more edges available to grow out than just the outer perimeter of one big colony.

You don't see many bow-front tanks made out of plexiglass!
Last one I saw was at Ocean Treasures in SF.
I have the liking of bow-fronts and round-corner tanks.

You don't see many bow-front tanks made out of plexiglass!
Last one I saw was at Ocean Treasures in SF.
I have the liking of bow-fronts and round-corner tanks.
It's been a great tank and looks pretty stylish. If you're interested, it might be available in a few months.

Cool war coral! I think I have a frag of that from you from a swap last spring. Growing it out like that is a great idea. I may try that in our school tank. Kids would be able to notice the growth more easily.

Back