Reef nutrition

Vincent's 1st Big Tank

Top down shots of the 40b for prosperity.

863e428fa186b2a4a8517f03e597046d.jpg

024399b02ed1867858ed80f109cbb3c1.jpg

FTS of the 190.

fae12a4f2de92fb8fe0a3a89153358a8.jpg

Just at the tail end of the ugly phase. Had a bout of diatoms, then cyano and then Dino that looks to be dying down.

Anxiously waiting for some prettier forms of algae to start growing.

The microfauna I introduced from Aquanature farms is exploding in the tank. Pods cover the glass and my wrasses are happy crushing the rock hunting then down!

I dose phyto everyday.

I've been playing around with the position of the WAV powerheads but can't seem to find a position I like. I miss the broad flow the MPs provided and am seriously considering going with a pair of MP40s or MP60s. I may get another pair of WAVs and just run them much lower than the 70% max they are right now to see if I can get a wider flow pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been waiting to see your stuff! Oooh and aaahs...

Progress had stalled out from a number of issues.

I had an ich outbreak which took out a number of fish. My yellow belly regal, Tomini tang, a few genicathus angels, fathead Anthias.

It was a shocker since every fish was ttm'd before addition but I came to realize where the infection could have from.

I had taken a rock from another tank to scape but I had forgotten that the tank was occasionally used as a holding tank for incoming fish if my ttm equipment was in use. So ich could have potentially been introduced from the rock.

I've been trying to catch fish but the firefish and the gold assessor are impossible to catch. I may have to remove rockwork to catch all the fish which I'm not looking forward to.

Right now there are no outward signs but I'm monitoring closely. I may choose to manage rather than go fallow but I'm undecided right now. Any incoming fish will still be ttm'd before addition to rid of any additional parasites if I choose to manage.

On the coral front, the aiptasia have taken off in the 40b so I'm hesitant to move coral over. In addition, I found aiptasia in the sump of the 190. Possibly from a rock I had dropped in there that came from the 40b. I've bought 10 peppermints from CRC that got to work cleaning off all the aiptasia in the sump. Once that is clean, I'll move the fish over from the 40b to the 190 and move the peps over to the 40b to eradicate the aiptasia over there.

I also bought a filefish that hopefully will help eat the bigger aiptasia.

So it's been a frustrating few months. Once I get a handle on these issues, progress will resume.

I did snag this from Neptune last week.

741a8896819f12dc6ae63c89211b62b8.jpg

1604587b9a583b04d8347a671bb62f7c.jpg

Hoping it will color up. Polyps are out when the lights start going down so looks like it is acclimating to my tank well.

Ttm won't rid anything but ich. So if you choose to manage pretty much just quarantine for velvet and not do ttm.

My ttm regiment includes formalin dip and 2 courses of parazipro which should take care of most common parasites n diseases.

Might be better to manage it going forward and use your regimented TTM for any new additions. It's hard to not skip a step when you're either rescaping or adding anything to the tank (e.g. looks like you kept the base on that Neptune piece; could also be the angle of the shot).

Let me know if that filefish doesn't work out for you. I can loan you my copper banded if it's bad. ;)

If you have the volume capacity, you could always drain the tank to a lower water level to catch the fish, I've found giving them less vertical space to swim makes them a bit easier to catch. If your corals are exposed for a bit it won't make much difference, then just fill it back up when you catch 'em. Or if you don't have the volume to hold that much water, time for a mega water change to do the same thing :D

I kept the base but Coral was dipped in Bayer, then introduced to my band of peppermints to clean before introducing to the DT. I'm going to replenish my stock of trapezia crabs now that I have a few medium sized colonies.

It is possible to pickup free swimming ich parasites from transferring water. Which is why it is recommended not to use nets during ttm transfer.

I kept the base but Coral was dipped in Bayer, then introduced to my band of peppermints to clean before introducing to the DT. I'm going to replenish my stock of trapezia crabs now that I have a few medium sized colonies.

Where from? I've only seen them consistently from LiveAquaria. I've read that sometimes CaliReef had them in the past, but never any when I'm there.

Ah okay. I'll have to check again next time. I was just over there for a quick drop off for some DBTC. There was a beefy sps there that I'm interested in, but I'm holding out until next week after I get my right side scape worked out.

Dang, sorry about the ich.
Pests seem to happen, no matter how careful you are.

My bet would be a cyst or two on the coral coming in.
(5-15 days for cysts to hatch, nearly indestructible in cyst form)
So technically, coral should be QT'd for a month like with fish.
(No, I admit I don't QT coral like that)

Dang, sorry about the ich.
Pests seem to happen, no matter how careful you are.

My bet would be a cyst or two on the coral coming in.
(5-15 days for cysts to hatch, nearly indestructible in cyst form)
So technically, coral should be QT'd for a month like with fish.
(No, I admit I don't QT coral like that)
If cysts hatch in 5-15 days, why would you need to qt for 1 month? I know there are other pests to qt for. I'm going to start QTing my corals, and was going to aim for 2-3 weeks. What are other people doing?

Back