Our mission

Does anyone have any experience with this skimmer? Or thoughts?

I have a skimz 203 with the internal DC motor. I don't know if it's the motor, or the air muffler, but it's pretty quiet. Probably a combination of both.

Also it works great and is built really really well.

Anyway, I wonder if a DIY air muffler might help with noise skimmers...

V

BRS sells, replacement skimz air mufflers. I'm linking it here so people can see what they look like and maybe make one.
I once made one from some "pill bottle" like container. Just a bottle with two holes in the top, one for the air intake to the skimmer, and one with just a tube in it. Not sure why that would work, but it seemed to make a difference. Anything similar can work, even just a tube with filter floss in it.

If the problem is pump noise or vibration, that's not too hard to solve. DC pumps seem quieter than AC for some reason .. maybe the vibrations aren't as bad.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz...l?sku=208840&gclid=CNqPrvTo_tICFcRhfgodun8P_w

Coral Vue does sell a silencer for the 150SSS. I did buy it and it does work but there is still some noise from the intake and the pump.

@Bruce Spiegelman you are welcome to pick it up and try it if you want.

D.C. Skimz skimmers seem to be quite popular. I have a Bubble Magus C5 in my 40b and it does a good job. Not too noisy and sized just right for my 40b.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just make sure that you do some research on the pumps. The DC pumps are less noisy if you run them at lower speeds, but at the same time, there's issues with the pump over time. Adam at BC, who sells a number of Deltecs, recommends AC pumps over DC for longer term reliability.

Just make sure that you do some research on the pumps. The DC pumps are less noisy if you run them at lower speeds, but at the same time, there's issues with the pump over time. Adam at BC, who sells a number of Deltecs, recommends AC pumps over DC for longer term reliability.

Maybe I bought a "cheap" DC return pump. It wasn't "cheap" in terms of money, but it was cheaper than the other brands. Some ripoff crap brand I guess. Was it Jaebo? I can't remember.

Anyway, I was using it as my return pump, and was very happy with it ... until it just stopped working one day while I was at work, and I lost one fish and the others were all gasping for air.

Not totally the fault of the return pump, but I had only three circulation pumps in the DT and none of them "break the surface" of the water, so the skimmer and return were the only air exchange to the main tank and once the return died (I never got it restarted, probably the controller) it starved the tank.

I re-installed the "cheap" Via Aqua AC pump that the DC pump had replaced. That Via Aqua pump had run non stop 24/7 for 15 years before the DC pump "upgrade" and now it continues to run as the return pump.

V

If I have to read this any more I'm gonna poop myself. Let it go. You bought cheap Chinese pump and it broke. Go figure. It's not the fault of the pump, or the manufacturer. It's your fault. You bought a crappy product because you are cheap. No two ways about it. You got what you paid for.

If I have to read this any more I'm gonna poop myself. Let it go. You bought cheap Chinese pump and it broke. Go figure. It's not the fault of the pump, or the manufacturer. It's your fault. You bought a crappy product because you are cheap. No two ways about it. You got what you paid for.

Doing homework on reducing microbubbles from our PS and saw this. I seriously want to do a top 10 of all Mike's best barbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL, yes yes, let the hate (poop) flow through your body!

Oh, did I mention the crappy Chinese knockoff dc pump I bought? I blame it for all my troubles.

Back