Reef nutrition

Now that we have [emoji226] what is the best thing to feed them...

L/B Block

Supporting Member
So after quite the journey, including a 3 month cycle we have acquired our first two fish. One clownfish and one blue hippo tang.

So the guy at store recommended spirulina flakes. The clown does seem to be coming up to the surface to eat. Not so sure on Mr Tang. Wondering if pellets are better or something else. Would like to make sure they actually eat and not gummy up tank with food they aren't eating.

Not the best of pics but more to come-
TIA
35788efc7908e9cc43262e9f633b7122.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

those are both pretty hardy fish. You shouldn't have a problem finding something they eat. Just try a variety of different foods, they should accept just about all of it.

Everything!
No single food has all of what the fish need for optimum health.
They should be fed "appetizers" all day long.
It is fair to assume that a fish's stomach is the size of one of its eyeballs.
Also, fish spend a significant amount of energy swimming around all,day, even to stay in one place.

+1 on the nori.
I like to feed LRS frozen foods. Try the herbivore blend that they make. I think neptune has some right now. Also try to vary up the diet a little. I avoid flake foods at all costs. The only pellet food I feed is PE mysis pellet since it doesn't contain garlic.

Here's what I currently feed on a somewhat revolving basis:
LRS frozen (break off a very small piece for two fish and mix with saltwater for a few minutes till it's thawed. Stir it up and pour it in)
TDO pellets
Reef Nutrition ROE
Spectrum pellets

Then for my tangs I put in Nori every other day.

You can get it at any aquarium store, but it's also available much cheaper from Amazon or an Asian market. The Whole Foods stuff is the same as well just much more expensive. Nori's nori. You'll also want to get some kind of clip for it -- again available at any aquarium store or Amazon. You can get a suction cup or magnetic clip that attaches to the glass or you can use a cip and attach it to a small rock and put it on the bottom of the tank.

For the record though, I still buy mine from my local LFS. I like to support the local businesses as much as a I can. LFS's always have an uphill battle against online retailers and manufacturer policies so I don't mind paying a couple bucks more on these items.

Be careful getting Nori from food store. They have plain, but some has spices, salt, preservatives, and more.
+1 on supporting LFS. It is hardly a big expense.

For me:

Auto feeder 1: (dual eheim)
Reef Nutrition Formula 2 flakes
Both sides, so it drops a bit every couple of hours.
My tangs love munching on this all day.

Auto feeder 2: (single eheim)
Reef Nutrition Formula 1 pellets
Other random pellets. Varies.

By hand:
Various frozen carnivore foods. Mysis/etc.
Small Nori piece every couple of days.

For me:

Auto feeder 1: (dual eheim)
Reef Nutrition Formula 2 flakes
Both sides, so it drops a bit every couple of hours.
My tangs love munching on this all day.

Auto feeder 2: (single eheim)
Reef Nutrition Formula 1 pellets
Other random pellets. Varies.

By hand:
Various frozen carnivore foods. Mysis/etc.
Small Nori piece every couple of days.
Ocean nutrition. Not reef.

Here's what I currently feed on a somewhat revolving basis:
LRS frozen (break off a very small piece for two fish and mix with saltwater for a few minutes till it's thawed. Stir it up and pour it in)
TDO pellets
Reef Nutrition ROE
Spectrum pellets

Then for my tangs I put in Nori every other day.
Ended up with this so far. Mr clown likes the food sticks. Still not sure if Mr tang is eating or not. Place where I went was..hmm.

Ordered the spectrum pellets.

IMG_1492.JPG

Whether the formulation is proper for the marine fish you're keeping.

For instance the ingredients list on that freshwater stick is as follows:

Fish Meal, Krill Meal, Wheat Flour, Starch, Flaked Corn, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Rice Bran, Dl-Methionine, L-Lysine, Astaxanthin, Canthaxanthin, Choline Chloride, , L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Stabilized Vitamin C), Inositol, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Aluminum Hydroxide.

The ingredients in TDO pellets is as follows:

Krill Meal, Fish Meal, Squid Meal, Fish Oil, Haematococcus, Wheat flour, Potato Starch, Corn Starch, Calcium Phosphate, Betaine, Soy Lecithin, Licorice Plant, Wheat Germ, Apple Extract

High quality marine food contains primarily proteins that fish are used to eating. They also don't add ingredients that many marine fish and especially invertebrates are highly sensitive to such as copper.

Whether the formulation is proper for the marine fish you're keeping.

For instance the ingredients list on that freshwater stick is as follows:

Fish Meal, Krill Meal, Wheat Flour, Starch, Flaked Corn, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Rice Bran, Dl-Methionine, L-Lysine, Astaxanthin, Canthaxanthin, Choline Chloride, , L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Stabilized Vitamin C), Inositol, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Aluminum Hydroxide.

The ingredients in TDO pellets is as follows:

Krill Meal, Fish Meal, Squid Meal, Fish Oil, Haematococcus, Wheat flour, Potato Starch, Corn Starch, Calcium Phosphate, Betaine, Soy Lecithin, Licorice Plant, Wheat Germ, Apple Extract

High quality marine food contains primarily proteins that fish are used to eating. They also don't add ingredients that many marine fish and especially invertebrates are highly sensitive to such as copper.
Good point. Well the spectrum pellets show up tomorrow and in the garbage goes the others. Thanks for the time for pointing this out.

Back