Jestersix

DTBC: Garf Bonsai

Ibn

DBTC Rules:

1. Using this DBTC as a backup in the event that my piece dies. If it does, then I would like a frag of this to regrow.
2. Frags are not to be sold. They are to stay within BAR. This is a test to see if the members can adhere to the rule. If it does hold, then I'll open up more of my corals up to DBTC.
3. Keep me updated if this thing dies on you. If not, then please update the thread with the chain info as it's passed along.

Broke a nub off the tip while scraping the back wall over the weekend. Found it today and glued the 1/2" on a plug. It's slightly bleached on the side that was sitting on the sand bed. I'll be holding onto it for the next week or so to ensure that it recovers.

Mini mother colony (3x3) for reference.
garf_bonsai_071817.jpg

Not a first come first serve basis and should go to someone that has or is keeping SPS successfully without any issues. Frag can be picked up in Santa Clara or Neptune during the weekdays. Also can meet at a LFS in the South Bay during the weekend.

Pick a number between 1-50 and I'll throw it into a RNG.

Wow, that's the prettiest sps I've seen so far! That'll definitely go on my wish list for when I'm ready to take care of sps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Been there a few months, encrusting/growing well. Top of the rock, 200-300PAR. Perhaps low nutrient. Trying to up feeding a bit to see if it response.
Can you dip it easily? Maybe see if anything jumps off. Have you seen red bugs yet? Otherwise probably low nutrient sounds like.

Here's a progression of shots for this piece.

Original piece acquired on 8/15/16.
garf_bonsai_081516.jpg

Had an alk spike in late December while on winter break, but this piece did fine. Here is it on 1/4/17 finally off the rack and onto the rockwork. Fully encrusted over the plug. Still somewhat brown but overall health is excellent.

garf_bonsai_010417.jpg

2/4/17. Colors are back.
garf_bonsai_021417.jpg

2 weeks later on 3/5/17. Growth is noticeable and it's starting to encrust down the plug as well at this point.
garf_bonsai_030517.jpg

Approximately 1 month later on 4/14/17. Bulking up over all and noticeable thickening throughout.
garf_bonsai_041117.jpg

5/4/17. The day after the rockwork was replaced (Tonga replaced the BRS reefsaver). Piece was basically planted back in the same location as prior.
garf_bonsai_050417.jpg

6/7/17. Decent growth with the terminal tips plating outwards and filling in.
garf_bonsai_060717.jpg

7/18/17. Base branches are growing out towards the light.
garf_bonsai_071817.jpg

Been there a few months, encrusting/growing well. Top of the rock, 200-300PAR. Perhaps low nutrient. Trying to up feeding a bit to see if it response.

Should color up once it's settled in. This tank gets fed pretty heavily and I haven't checked nutrients in months.

Back