High Tide Aquatics

Reef vacuum

I give you the prototype reef vacuum, a concept I've wanted to try for some time.

I just used it to suck the junk out of my sump and it worked great.

It's basically a 10in canister with a 100 micron reusable filter. A mag 9 provides suction through the filter.

The one big problem I had with this was priming. It's very hard to fill the tubes and canister with water in order to prime it. I've got a siphon start bulb so perhaps I could set that up to siphon from the tank into the sump to get the system flooded.

The mag 9 also not a big fan of having such a large restriction on its intake. I got lots of microbubbles on the output from cavitation. I might just live with it as it serves the purpose.

I'm planning to make some tools to attach to the cleaning want. Probably a pick, scraper, and a brush.
79fb82418aa3957369be46e391ba8e64.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Or just use the powerhead to pump dirty want out? Or siphon it
I have used the trick of using a maxijet as a vacuum to pump into a filter sock in the past. It seemed to jam up the powerhead if I tried sucking up lots of silt or stuff. The big win with this setup is that it doesn't really plug up at all and I don't have to worry about fouling the pump.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back