Reef nutrition

Making a comeback?

Or feed lightly n have low nutrient export.

Essentially you have to walk a fine line of having JUST enough left over nutrients for your corals to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 is easy. Get them a natural host. So either a H. magnifica or an S. gigantea. Guaranteed they will accept it as host.

That's good to know. Not accepting an anemone stories seem to be about pairing something like Ocellaris with Quadicolors, which aren't natural anyway. So getting a nem that's a natural host does seem like a no brainer. I really like H. magnifica. I'm pretty sure at full size it could basically blanket the entire tank! I think I'd be OK with that as long as I have enough total water volume to maintain the bioload. I've been reading about how these and other anemones get pretty messed up through shipping. I'll have to be ready with a hospital tank to dose antibiotics probably. I wonder if I found one at a LFS that already had one healthy and the transport from there to my tank would be mild enough to just skip the TT altogether. I guess I'll have it ready just in case.

Hi, I just did a 150g tank start with dead marco rock and dead sand. I dosed ammonia to 4 ppm, added Dr. Tim's One and Only at the required amount plus about 10% extra, and my tank cycled in 15 days.

I vote for clown/anemone tank. Watching coral grow is like, watching coral grow - my personal preference is to have some motion in the tank (while I watch coral grow) :)

15 days? That's crazy. I remember back in the day it took me about 2 - 3 months for dead rock cycle. I was only dosing some ammonia I found, and didn't really have any options of adding bacteria. Anyway, I ordered ammonia and dr tim's one/only last week so I guess it'll be good.

What better way to cycle a tank fast than adding Chaeto? Sucks up ammonia and also brings bacteria to colonize your rock and make it live! Free pickup in Union City!

I love going down to Union City to eat at King of Dumplings or Vung Tau III. Maybe next time (probably soon) I'll swing by and say hi with a plastic bag for some chaeto =) Thanks so much for the offer (though I secretly think you're just overrun with the stuff and hope to offload it to someone and get some karma points on the side).

Definitely. The truth is I'm just starting out and the only thing I've got to share is Chaeto at the moment. Once I start growing out my corals, I will definitely share frags with fellow members! :)

Not to put the cart before the horse, but I'm bored waiting for my stuff to come so:
  1. Any local ocellaris breeders I can purchase a clutch of from that you guys know of? I remember Robin was breeding a lot back in the day. I'm also looking for possibly a clutch of some designery ones (misbars, teardrops, or something).
  2. Any LFS that you would recommend ordering me a H. Magnifica? Maybe it's a tall order, but would the LFS do cipro treatment on it on arrival if needed?

Aquatic Collection gets mags once a while. As does Neptune.

You will have to do the video treatment yourself though I think both places sell it.

Only local breeder I know is dnak but he is currently switching tanks so no clutches right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome back Art. Clown fish would be cool man
Thanks! Good to be back!

Totally going to do it. I was thinking just full on Acro/Monti tank, but this seems a lot more fun and cute.

I just checked out your website. You are so talented. Amazing work.

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Aquatic Collection gets mags once a while. As does Neptune.

You will have to do the video treatment yourself though I think both places sell it.

Only local breeder I know is dnak but he is currently switching tanks so no clutches right now.

OK great, I wasn't sure where I could get antibiotics, but if Neptune or AC has it, that'll be great. I'll need to pickup a little pump and light at some point for the hospital tank. I do have a small ~10 gallon tank, but I last used it to treat ich on some fish (like 7 years ago), I wonder if that treatment had copper or something else that might be bad for the anemone? Maybe I'll just bother one of you guys for spare stuff to use temporarily =)

I was talking to DNak on ReefCentral about his tank and clowns! I might just stop by his place to check out his system at some point.

@Kensington Reefer had some going for awhile.

Oh thanks, I'll reach out!

Back