Cali Kid Corals

Use washing machine drain for RODI?

I did what you're asking until I got 100' of 1/4" gardening tubing and now I water my tree with the waste water.

I'm thinking of doing this too. I actually have about 70' of tubing from my last project...

After hooking it all up to the washing machine, I'm now thinking of putting my RO/DI in the backyard. I want to put my chiller outside the house too, so was thinking of taking a "garden box" (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncast-50-Gal-Resin-Deck-Box-DB5500J/203701366), drilling it to plumb in a chiller and my RO/DI, drill some holes for ventilation.

Not sure how much more work it will be to plumb through an exterior wall of a house, but looking at my water heater, there's a random pipe that goes out the wall and into thin air anyway. can't be that bad right?

I'm thinking of doing this too. I actually have about 70' of tubing from my last project...

After hooking it all up to the washing machine, I'm now thinking of putting my RO/DI in the backyard. I want to put my chiller outside the house too, so was thinking of taking a "garden box" (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Suncast-50-Gal-Resin-Deck-Box-DB5500J/203701366), drilling it to plumb in a chiller and my RO/DI, drill some holes for ventilation.

Not sure how much more work it will be to plumb through an exterior wall of a house, but looking at my water heater, there's a random pipe that goes out the wall and into thin air anyway. can't be that bad right?
You could probably remove that pipe and use the existing hole.

I had cable-internet installed. The guy asked me where I wanted the inside connection, so I told him and he said no problem! I was surprised because I THOUGHT he was going to string it into the attic then down the inside of the wall and then put a connector there. NOPE! He ran the calble outside, stapling it to the eaves, then dropping it down and DRILLING A HOLE through the wall from the outside to the place where I wanted the cable.

After that, I'm thinking that ... sure, you can just drill a hole int he side of your house for an RO-DI output ... why not...

V

Without seeing what you're talking about, I'd guess that the pipe is a condensate line and should be kept.

I had cable-internet installed. The guy asked me where I wanted the inside connection, so I told him and he said no problem! I was surprised because I THOUGHT he was going to string it into the attic then down the inside of the wall and then put a connector there. NOPE! He ran the calble outside, stapling it to the eaves, then dropping it down and DRILLING A HOLE through the wall from the outside to the place where I wanted the cable.

After that, I'm thinking that ... sure, you can just drill a hole int he side of your house for an RO-DI output ... why not...

V
Those guys aren't licensed contractors. I don't think they care about your home or if what they are doing damages it. I'm sure the option to not have to fish the cable through your attic was a welcome alternative to him.

You can drill through your exterior walls but you will want to seal it somehow to keep water from leaking into the wall. At least some caulking around the tubing.

I got my old RO/DI all setup. Changed the membrane and all the filters. I was troubleshooting why my ASOV wouldn't stop the water, and while I was looking at the diagrams online I realized that the top two lines were totally mixed up. I'm 80% sure I didn't mess with these tubes, but the top "IN" was going "OUT" to my DI cartridge, and the top "OUT" was going "IN" from my membrane. That's how I ran it for years before. The water was still coming out, and the TDS still read 0 all those years. What in the world? So anyway, I recut all the tubes and replumbed it. Everything still seemed to work the same way. WTF.

It is an AirWaterIce Typhoon III (75gpd from like 2012). It came preassembled and the tubes were all cut and installed by them. There definitely was a chance I had taken it apart and put it back in totally backwards, but I doubt it. The 1/4" tubing was matching in length exactly right. Could this be why my last tank was a total failure?

Well, the ASOV works now and TDS is still 0. The standpipe drain works great.

I talked to AirWaterIce. Apparently those two in/outs on the ASOV don't matter (for some reason). I don't understand how they don't matter, but OK.

V

That is standard procedure for at least CATV installers, and am sure for Sat services too.
Back in the day, the cost of the extra outlet was $18.99 for the first, $13.99 for any addtl. on the same trip.
Now, many home owners were thinking of a "wall fished" outlet when reality was/is a cable passing through a wall, some instances drilled right on the floor, on your beautiful hardwood floor.
Techs are required to have the customer sign aknowledge/permission for that installation... liability is the word.
Of course if customer refuses then is a cancelled job. An electrician can do a nice job but not at the back then price of $18.99
I had a few customers complain about that and saying they did not authorize for that when the work order showed the customer's signature right next to the words"I authorize..."
Some dumb technicians skip the rules of installation CYB ( cover your butt) and some end up costing quite a few bucks in damage repair.
Going into attics is strictly prohibited at least for CATV installers. Going into a crawl space where the last pest control service was performed less than a year is a big no, no. If there are traces of rodents (feces) nope; suspected asbestos insulated vents, nope; wet crawl spaces, nope; HOA, nope; rental MDU's (unless written letter from the owner authorizing), nope; even single family homes leased, a letter is still required.
All the requirements are meant to tell you the homeowner and or renter, you are liable for anything that arises from the installation.
Of course there are installers that perform a nice work and in MANY cases, those who don't give a dime about their work and much less about you, the broadband subscriber... ahhhh, the age of wireless still needs a wire!

@Flagg37 true, the individuals might not be licensed, in fact, most installers are not but they are not "contractors" themselves, rather employees of the Internet Service Provider or employees of a contractor representing the ISP that has to be licensed by the State of California.
All installers have to have training and get certified but in many instances what matters is the production, not the quality. Working for the contracting companies normally is "piece rate" like the Uber of CATV, the more rides the more money Uber gets and those driving for them; someone has to get rich, right?

Last edited:
I use my waste ro to water a tree also. I ran it under the house and made it fit through a radon / vent screen. After 100 of 1/4" tubing there isn't too much back pressure.

That is standard procedure for at least CATV installers, and am sure for Sat services too.
Back in the day, the cost of the extra outlet was $18.99 for the first, $13.99 for any addtl. on the same trip.
Now, many home owners were thinking of a "wall fished" outlet when reality was/is a cable passing through a wall, some instances drilled right on the floor, on your beautiful hardwood floor.
Techs are required to have the customer sign aknowledge/permission for that installation... liability is the word.
Of course if customer refuses then is a cancelled job. An electrician can do a nice job but not at the back then price of $18.99
I had a few customers complain about that and saying they did not authorize for that when the work order showed the customer's signature right next to the words"I authorize..."
Some dumb technicians skip the rules of installation CYB ( cover your butt) and some end up costing quite a few bucks in damage repair.
Going into attics is strictly prohibited at least for CATV installers. Going into a crawl space where the last pest control service was performed less than a year is a big no, no. If there are traces of rodents (feces) nope; suspected asbestos insulated vents, nope; wet crawl spaces, nope; HOA, nope; rental MDU's (unless written letter from the owner authorizing), nope; even single family homes leased, a letter is still required.
All the requirements are meant to tell you the homeowner and or renter, you are liable for anything that arises from the installation.
Of course there are installers that perform a nice work and in MANY cases, those who don't give a dime about their work and much less about you, the broadband subscriber... ahhhh, the age of wireless still needs a wire!

I was given no indication that he was just going to string it outside, or else I'd have put the outlet elsewhere. But I can live with it.

Now, what I wish he had done was at least carry a choice of black or white cable. My house is white so at least had he used white cable it would look way less obvious.
I'm used to it now, but still...looks sloppy. I'll probably paint the part that is obvious (It runs around my front door so pretty obvious)

CATV installers don't use white cable outside, it's not UV stable much less allowed for installations. Satellite I guess they don't mind.
A good installer will tell you how he/she will run the line and the best out there will treat your home like is their own.

I had guys come in and install ethernet and cable wall outlets in quite a few rooms. I made sure they ran it under the house, or through a wall up into the attic. All wiring is between walls.

They wanted to run an external line into the attic but I had them look through the whole house and they found a way to pull cable from the outside line that terminated in the garage, under the house to a powered splitter.

You can also use a bulkhead fitting inside the house and run a short piece of PVC connected to it through the wall (or bulkheads on each side). Seal the outside with silicone. I ran PVC all the way to the garage, but used the bulkhead as described here and in the garage on the other end. I used larger PVC tubing to provide some extra room and ran a string through the PVC to be able to "pull" additional lines through the PVC tubing. If just trying to get through the wall, you can use a bulkhead fitting with a much closer fitting diameter. My lines are for ATO, in/out to the Stenner (in the garage) for auto water exchange, and a power line to the ATO pump in the garage RODI reservoir.

Wall line pass through.jpg

Back