Jestersix

Question on Calc Reactors

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
So I just picked up a small calc reactor. It's an older model KNOP C that everyone seems to be looking for now as it's highly regarded and no longer available. My question is about the pump. Some folks say just a simple Aqualifter is fine for a small calc reactor and others indicate you need a prohibitively expensive peristaltic pump. What gives?

A feed pump is supposed to pull from the tank and push into the Ca reactor which pushes effluent rich water into the tank thus feeding it alk,ca and whatever else is in there.

This pump is supposed to run 24/7 356. Its up to you if you feel an Aqualifter is up to that task.

Spectra Pure is releasing a Litremeter pump designed for Ca Rx I believe.

If you are not worried about noise, Cole Palmer brushed peristaltic pumps are not too expensive but its pretty loud.

no, I haven't seen the new one Vhuang is talking about. But, the one you're looking at is just a "litermeter 3" Those have been around for years. Tried and true, great dosing pumps, I have been using an original litermeter 1 for probably 20 years.

Wait -- all Co2 regulators are not similar?
Fancy stainless steel are way better. Someone on either the DIY or Equipment forum posted a nice thread about them SS regulators.

I think to have the same KnopC CaRx, pretty simple things and I like the white plastic it's attached to. I think an Aqualifter will do the job but if you keep your eyes open, nice Cole Parmer units show up for a really good deal.

Back