got ethical husbandry?

Wave maker?

Hi all
I have a 20 gallon IM nano and have a basic hydor powerhead on it. Not too impressed with the basic straight flow.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a controllable powerhead perhaps even wireless? I've looked at the Jebao sw 4. Seems ok but so so reviews.

Any advice for a newbie? Thx!

Ps I have lps and 2 LTA in there with 2 clowns

Arvind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all
I have a 20 gallon IM nano and have a basic hydor powerhead on it. Not too impressed with the basic straight flow.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a controllable powerhead perhaps even wireless? I've looked at the Jebao sw 4. Seems ok but so so reviews.

Any advice for a newbie? Thx!

Ps I have lps and 2 LTA in there with 2 clowns

Arvind

0c943f845b38a62e1e1c1da76b5bdafc.jpg

It's the rectangular one

Look for a used MP10wes. Should be under $200 now.

I've seen regular MP10wes as low as !00.00 with some regularity. I just sold a MPQD for $150.00 to a fellow BAR member, but have seen them at the $200.00 price point all the time. I'll keep an eye out if that's what you want.

Hypothetically speaking, if your pump was to crap out, which jebao would you get to replace it with? My experience was a year ago, i may give it one more chance...
I tried bigger one - PP-8 and it's too strong for small tank... So the PP-4 suppose to replace RW-4 - almost the same, different rubber base. I don't have MP10 to compare but heard jebao a little stronger. Amazon gives 3 month replacement - worth to try!

I, and some other folks here, won't use Jebao's for a couple of other reasons. First, they're some pretty good reports that at least some leach iron from their fittings. There was one excellent article published about this. Second, it's the whole theft of patent's thing. They simply use stolen and copied technology and cheap labor/slash materials to make their product.

Bruce, I don't want to be their advocate but there are no technology behind this particular pump ( not talking about Gyre, it's different discussion, highly questionable) - it's a motor and controller with jebao's proprietary software ( I torn it apart and checked whats inside). There are also no iron parts - it's plastic, ceramic shaft, copper wires, regular magnet. Hundreds of companies around the world makes similar pumps, all made in china, all using cheap labor. It all looks alike, can be made on the same plant by same people.

Bruce - I'm not their advocate but it looks like patent trolling. They claim jebao used their idea of magnetic holder, however magnetic holder is not new idea also, and their patent looks different. IMHO hydor will loose this case. There might be another patent though (Julian Sprung holds another one and it looks more similar to what jebao use).
https://www.google.com/patents/US8191846

No company is free of the casual DOA or a sudden death of aquarium equipment; I've had a Tunze die on me, C clamps break; Tunze took care of that. Taam, makers of Rio, most pumps worked fine but I had two go bad, really bad on me so...
Same company, Seio powerheads, I like them a lot; bulky but they did the job just fine and still run if I put them to the task.
If you look at the Jebao desing, clamp seems like Tunze, in fact, the pump looks like Tunze stream.
On the Hydor side, those look like MP-xx from EcoTech and the small one seems pretty much like the Tunze stream.

https://reefbuilders.com/2015/11/25/hydor-usa-files-complaint-jebao-international-trade-commission/

@Arvind I'd keep an eye for an MP10 or an older MP20 here, cl or rc; that should take care of the flow in your tank

"Bruce, I don't want to be their advocate "
"Bruce - I'm not their advocate "

Doing a good job of it :)

In any case, their "cross-flow" technology among others is pretty clearly "borrowed" tech and it's enough of a reason for me not to support a company with my dollars. I just don't flow that way.

No company is free of the casual DOA or a sudden death of aquarium equipment; I've had a Tunze die on me, C clamps break; Tunze took care of that. Taam, makers of Rio, most pumps worked fine but I had two go bad, really bad on me so...
Same company, Seio powerheads, I like them a lot; bulky but they did the job just fine and still run if I put them to the task.
If you look at the Jebao desing, clamp seems like Tunze, in fact, the pump looks like Tunze stream.
On the Hydor side, those look like MP-xx from EcoTech and the small one seems pretty much like the Tunze stream.

https://reefbuilders.com/2015/11/25/hydor-usa-files-complaint-jebao-international-trade-commission/

@Arvind I'd keep an eye for an MP10 or an older MP20 here, cl or rc; that should take care of the flow in your tank
Thx I picked up a used mp10 on r2r today

THIS Is why I love this forum. It's awesome seeing discussion on both sides of an argument, learning about different equipment without personal experiences (good or bad), finding hidden gems of information, and having that much more knowledge for when the need arises. Thanks guys!

Jebaos work ok, as long as they are clean. I had to clean them every month or so. Finally gave up and went to MP10s. I rotate wet sides out every 6 months or so.

Back