Reef nutrition

Return pump T'd to chiller/reactor/fuge or separate pump?

kinetic

Supporting Member
I have a Skimz QuietPro 4.0 DC return pump (rated 1056gph)

Red Sea Reefer 170 suggests 530gph for the return

I was going to run the pump about 50% strength (maybe a bit more for head loss).

I also have a Skimz QuietPro 2.0 DC pump (528gph) that I was going to run my chiller and GFO/Carbon reactor (inline) off of, and T the output to a tiny chaeto fuge. I was going to run this pump also about 50% to get about 200gph through the BRS mini reactor and chiller.

Instead of running the QuietPro 2.0, should I just run everything off of the 4.0? I can T the return and add a gate valve for the non-return line. I would need the 4.0 to run closer to 80%. When I turn off the pump, it will obviously stop running everything, but I think that's OK.

I'm thinking running two pumps at low capacity will be:
  1. potentially less noisy (though they're quiet DC pumps)
  2. increase longevity of the pumps since they're running at lower speeds?
  3. good to allow the two systems can run independently, though I can't think of a scenario where this is really needed
Running one pump will be:
  1. a possible saver on power consumed
  2. fewer pumps in the sump and it would be cleaner, though my plumbing might be more of a mess
  3. could take out one more heat source, though not sure how to compare a pump at 80% vs. two at 50%

I would try running everything off the 4.0 with a manifold. I've got my vectra m1 running my gfo and small fuge too. Having never run a chiller I'm not sure what sort of flow it needs to be effective. With a good DC pump I don't think noise is that much an issue. I run my return near 100%. Heat is also not as much as issue (my AC skimmer pump puts out way more heat). Keep it simple.

The only situations I am running dedicated separate pumps are where flow rate really matters. If your gfo gets clogged up can increase flow to the other outputs. For instance I wouldn't run my calcium reactor or zeovit reactor off the manifold because you want stable outflow achieved by dedicated pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't find the head pressure chart for it. Most DC pumps don't have very good head pressure. I won't be surprised if you had to run it closer to 100% if you tee'd it to a chiller n reactor.

GFO/carbon reactors clog and reduce flow pretty routinely. If you have it T'd off from your return line that means your return flow will increase slowly between reactor media changes, causing your overflow flow rate to slowly increase and potentially mess up your quiet overflow balance. I'm not sure that the amount of flow difference will cause a noticeable change in gurgling noises, but it might.

Personally I prefer one pump to have less clutter in sump, one less power plug (apex EB real estate).

My manifold is 1" with Tees to GFO and Fuge, and then it drop to 3/4" to go up to DT. The drop from 1" to 3/4" already introduce enough back pressure that it doesn't make that much difference in return flow even when I shut off my GFO or fuge. Herbie style can take small amount of flow increase before it start making noticeable noise.

Personally I prefer one pump to have less clutter in sump, one less power plug (apex EB real estate).

My manifold is 1" with Tees to GFO and Fuge, and then it drop to 3/4" to go up to DT. The drop from 1" to 3/4" already introduce enough back pressure that it doesn't make that much difference in return flow even when I shut off my GFO or fuge. Herbie style can take small amount of flow increase before it start making noticeable noise.

thanks for the info. definitely something to think about.

I'm going with two pumps. I don't want to mess with plumbing too much on this one. It's already hard enough going from a 1/2" mur-lok to a 3/4" barbed hose for my reactor to chiller, let alone creating a manifold with gate valves. Going to keep this one simple for now (though I know manifolds can be simple too).

I would T the drain into the chiller with a valve to control flow to it.

That is a good idea... but my chiller is in a closet about 2 feet away. Would that be weird? I think I might have to put the chiller on a small stool or something too to get it slightly higher than water level.

The actual cutting and gluing of a manifold is the easy part, doesn't take long at all. The harder part is planning and buying all the correct parts.

The actual cutting and gluing of a manifold is the easy part, doesn't take long at all. The harder part is planning and buying all the correct parts.

This, if you are a num num like me, it took three months, two iterations and I still not quite happy with it. Might have to do v3

I was plumbing everything myself awhile ago, I ended up just using a ton of the flexible pvc, but that kept springing leaks, so I gave up and just used regular vinyl tubes and barbs everywhere. It was so ugly.

Your main return pump is the "big one." It is high flow, and low pressure.
You want to over-size fitting and such, because any restrictions drops flow, and can waste a lot of power.

The GFO/etc has very low flow, but needs pretty high pressure, since it gets clogged easily.
With a higher pressure pump, you still get flow through the reactor even with a big clump of detritus.

Two very different uses, so two different type pumps.
And if done right, I would say those 2 use less power than 1.

Your main return pump is the "big one." It is high flow, and low pressure.
You want to over-size fitting and such, because any restrictions drops flow, and can waste a lot of power.

The GFO/etc has very low flow, but needs pretty high pressure, since it gets clogged easily.
With a higher pressure pump, you still get flow through the reactor even with a big clump of detritus.

Two very different uses, so two different type pumps.
And if done right, I would say those 2 use less power than 1.
I don't get the reasoning behind this. The diameter of the gfo canister is the same whether you use two pumps or one. The amount of flow to the canister then determines the pressure. So whether you use a dedicated pump, or a pump off the manifold, the pressure of water through the reactor can be the same. If only we knew a physicist....

I don't get the reasoning behind this. The diameter of the gfo canister is the same whether you use two pumps or one. The amount of flow to the canister then determines the pressure. So whether you use a dedicated pump, or a pump off the manifold, the pressure of water through the reactor can be the same. If only we knew a physicist....

To explain:
The resistance through the GFO reactor can change quite a bit.
The little foam things get clogged with detritus over a few weeks, blocking flow rather badly.
That extra resistance causes increased back pressure on the pump.

I think proportion matter. If the amount of flow going into the reactor represent a large percentage of flow, then having it blocked would make a big difference.

For me I think my GFO take away a few percent of flow at most so it makes almost no difference when it is on or off. Also there shouldn't be that much detritus going into your reactor? I have some gunk on the foam but after a month flow doesn't look to be affected (BRS deluxe reactor with 1cup of GFO)

I think proportion matter. If the amount of flow going into the reactor represent a large percentage of flow, then having it blocked would make a big difference.

For me I think my GFO take away a few percent of flow at most so it makes almost no difference when it is on or off. Also there shouldn't be that much detritus going into your reactor? I have some gunk on the foam but after a month flow doesn't look to be affected (BRS deluxe reactor with 1cup of GFO)
Yeah, it varies.
I have a 300G system, do not use filter socks, and tend to feed a lot of seaweed to fish.
All that means a lot of detritus.

Back