got ethical husbandry?

RBTA transfer process?

WCKDVPR

Supporting Member
Hi All,

Newjack has kindly donated me an RBTA for my tank (which will hopefully host my clowns). Picking it up today and I was curious as to the best method for "prepping" it for my tank as to not introduce any possible pests.

Lots of conflicting info out there on the web.

Thanks,
Mike

I am new at this so I am just asking (and I am sure some have been stupid questions, so thanks for taking that in stride from a newbie).

Getting things from reputable people in this group has been amazing. What a patient, helpful, and generous group you have all been. Thanks!

Thanks! It is my pleasure to support this group. Can't wait to get something growing large enough that I can help the next person get started.

You should be thinking about pests regardless of who you get livestock from. Nobody should be offended if you dip or quarantine corals that you receive from them. You're just being a responsible reefer, protecting your investment.

That said, @Randy dipped his anemones in Bayer and it did fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would definitely not dip an anemone. They are some of the few tank critters for which it is widely recommended against since the pathogens you are dipping to get rid of don’t hitch a ride on their flesh, and because it can harm them. As long as they aren’t on a rock from the previous aquarium you are fine.

As to the other point, none of us are offended by someone dipping/inspecting a frag we gave or sold them. It is standard good practice and should always be done when appropriate.

If you are getting an anemone from a reputable person such as Newjack, I doubt you'll find any surprise guests.

While @Newjack is a cool dood and his reef is doing awesome, one general piece of advice I can give you is trust no one. I'm offended if you don't take precautions with your incoming inhabitants or at the very least understand what your risk is when putting them in your tank.

I don't know who came up with the idea that dipping nems in Bayer is toxic to them vs dipping a coral. As far as I been able to research, the nervous system of a nem is not very different than a coral. As @Gablami has stated, I have dipped many a nem without a problem (BTA, rock flower, H. Malu). That said, my scientific method has not been tested by peers and is not necessarily reproducible. 99% of scientists may not agree with me. ;)

I have spoken to so many reefers, soo soo soo many who dip religiously, and yet they inevitably end up with pests in their tank. Why? The dips don't work on eggs. aefw's, nudibranchs, etc. etc. then there's majanos and aiptasia, and lord knows what else...

I'll give you why I trust certain reefers not to dip. I know how meticulous they are with their own husbandry. Ibn is one person that comes to mind.

but you only need look as far as BRS videos and Ryan on the BRS160 and see how they went through many rigorous measures of quarantine and dipping and yet they still ended up with Montipora eating nudibranchs in the BRS160.

I have spoken to so many reefers, soo soo soo many who dip religiously, and yet they inevitably end up with pests in their tank. Why? The dips don't work on eggs. aefw's, nudibranchs, etc. etc. then there's majanos and aiptasia, and lord knows what else...

Very true. Inspection is important and knowing that eggs and cysts primarily attached themselves to hard, dead surfaces like plugs and rocks. I have almost zero foreign rocks or plugs in my tank except for the tiny bit that can't be removed because I'd kill a frag. I don't care how much a coral is encrusted on a plug or rock, it's tossed and removed as long as the frag, in my estimation, will survive being pulled from it. I'll chuck a frag if I see anything on it. I fully understand this is not full proof, but in my mind, it significantly reduces risk.

I so far haven't had to deal with any infestation except vermatids for the last year and a half. It may just be luck on my part, but I'll knock on wood anyway.

I have gotten frags from supposedly clean tanks before and trust me, some of them were not clean. I'd rather err on the side of caution. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure for me in this case.

Yea, I don't really have a horse in this race. It doesn't matter to me. Also I should say that I love it when people dip the corals I give them and then report to me that nothing fell off and no pests... Helps me be less paranoid. But I got all kinds of fun stuff, chitons, vermetids, stomatella snails, collonistas, spaghetti worms, featherdusters etc. etc. to the OP, sounds like Bayer is safe to dip so go to town! :) Happy Reefing.

Except for the tiny detail that as far as I know dips don’t do any good when talking about anemones specifically lol.

Sounds like a dip in Bayer won’t hurt it (unlike other coral dips which definitely do hurt) but it’s still not recommended because it doesn’t help. Has anyone ever seen something bad fall off of an anemone after dipping? I’d be really surprised.

It’s not like I know everything about this or have some huge body of knowledge (I don’t dip anemones), I’m just presenting the most widely held opinion and most successful reefers have said, and what makes sense logically to me.

I don't know everything either. Do RBTA have lethal pests? I don't know. Are there nudibranches that eat some anemones? Yes! (
&
).

What I do know is that anything wet has the potential to carry pests. If i'm willing to dip a zoa, a leather, a toadstool, or an acropora in Bayer to reduce risks of a pest, I see no reason why I wouldn't dip a nem as long as it won't kill the nem (again, I haven't proven this - my sample size is small - 5 or so nems). Again, for me and coral pests, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If I could safely dip snails...I would do that too! ;)

Randy, thank you for sharing your experience and knowledge, and also thank you for the cool Rasta Zoa frag I got from you at the frag swap!

Just to clarify to OP. @WCKDVPR, I'm not suggesting that you dip it in Bayer. Most, if not all except me, do not. I just wanted to confirm what @Gablami said, I have dipped multiple nems in Bayer and the outcome of the nem seemed fine.

Back