High Tide Aquatics

Lawrence's first (90g) salt water tank

Updates-
So with daily water changes of 3000 ml (~.75 gal) through the DOS and a change to Red Sea pro salt-alk is coming nice at 8.7 dkh and calc (if to be believed at 480) -I'll take it.
Ammonia is at 0, nitrates might be anywhere from 0-10 -couldn't tell with the API kit.
Salinity is back post north of 30 ppt (around 33-34 ppt)

Phosphate jumped up to .04. Not surprised as I switched from pellets to a combo of frozen brine or mysis shrimp (hikari) mixed with phyto feast and oyster eggs. Mainly to reduce the feeding complexity.
Jumping the water changes a tiny bit from 3k to 3.4k ml a day to see if a nominal difference in phosphate and nitrates. All the same the GFO might be in action come this weekend. Corals all looking happy for the most part.

Also got a diamond goby and a starry blenny.
The diamond is really cleaning that sand substrate!
Blenny and blue hippo got into a "brawl" the first day where I watched blenny go out and take a good chomp at Mr. Blue. However they have seemed to have worked out their differences.

Pics of recent. Amazing to see it all in action.
IMG_1863.JPG
IMG_1864.JPG
IMG_1854.JPG
IMG_1851.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!
That Sailfin will grow. (and grow and grow) Between it and the Foxface, you will not have a bubble algae problem long term.
My fuge - lots. My display tank - not a spec except up above the emergency overflow where they cannot reach.

You probably will need GFO, although that number is not particularly high. Just keep an eye out for Cyano.

My Foxface turned scary brown at times for a while also. But after a few months, not so stressed. And it has been years now since I have seen it

That GSP on the main rocks makes me worried. It takes over so easy. I always recommend putting it on a separate small rock.

The GSP is on its own rock, thankfully, and I pull it off occasionally to make sure it hasn't spread. We'll move it this weekend down to the sand. :)

Nice!
That Sailfin will grow. (and grow and grow) Between it and the Foxface, you will not have a bubble algae problem long term.
My fuge - lots. My display tank - not a spec except up above the emergency overflow where they cannot reach.

You probably will need GFO, although that number is not particularly high. Just keep an eye out for Cyano.

My Foxface turned scary brown at times for a while also. But after a few months, not so stressed. And it has been years now since I have seen it

That GSP on the main rocks makes me worried. It takes over so easy. I always recommend putting it on a separate small rock.
If we pop the bubble algae off the rock the sailfin will scarf it down. Foxface still needs to learn about the "foie gras" of algae!
Didn't realize how big the blue tang, sailfin, and even the foxface can get. Given no tank disasters hopefully-over a few years we will see if they outgrow the tank.

As to the phosphate, although not bad it was amazing to see almost no diatoms on the glass wall at all when it was zero. So starving it out wouldn't be so bad as well as Mr bubble algae if I can with GFO if I can.

Here are my Foxface, Sailfin, and GSP. Very lucky shot.
That pillar of GSP is about a 10" tall. I really like the color and movement of it. So even though it is "just GSP" it is
actually somewhat of a focal point in the tank.
fish_gsp.JPG

What a difference a day makes. :(

Sailfin Tang looked almost dead today - and kept getting sucked into the wav or to the overflow. We McGuyvered a spot for him to chill out and keep him from getting more hurt. He ate a little fish food once he got there. We'll see how he's doing in the morning. I'm slightly worried about the plastic releasing something into the tank. But hopefully for a quick 12 hour recovery stint it will be OK.

If the fish feels better, he can swim out through the handles on the side.

2d00f354c4ae70e81e7e8e4fa1bced21.jpg

840ab0e9df2bd30ea45f6acb942b8df2.jpg

5cf88916341e21266ea548dce6eb9df0.jpg

He escaped too soon, got stuck in the wav and chewed up his fin a little more.

We don't have a spare heater (ack!) so temp will be an issue. If he makes it through the night, we'll be looking for some hospital tank supplies.

7e649ae5d9da0c0ae70d5f7009bdab0c.jpg

Hospital tank can make it worse unless you do it right do to water instability.
Suggest mesh over those handle holes.
Also, put in a small rock he can hide behind, and make half of it dark by adding a shade.
That fish needs a dark safe place to rest.

+1 on sump if it is safe.

A sick fish likes the dark, but not pitch-black.
Total blindness is not good either. All it would take though is a small night light.

A sick fish likes the dark, but not pitch-black.
Total blindness is not good either. All it would take though is a small night light.
There is light that pops through the tank itself. Worse comes to worse leave the cabinet door open.

Back