Our mission

RBTA is in hiding.. should I be concerned?

So for the longest time my RBTA was healthy and happy on one of my rockworks. That was until last Tuesday when it decided that it would wander around the tank.. and I mean wander. I continually checked my tank that day via my security cam and it went from left corner of my tank, to the front glass, and finally bottom right of the tank very close to my power head. When I finally got home that evening, I was able to move it back to the rockwork where it originally stayed. Ever since that evening though, the nem has retreated into a big crevice behind the same rockwork towards the substrate. I looked for the nem this morning and it's still nowhere to be found, I'm assuming it's still in that crevice. My concern is there's no way the RBTA is getting any light in that crevice, and it's been two days. Should I be concerned? Should I pull out the rockwork and pull the nem out or should I just wait it out?

I'd personally move it or at least find a way to get it some light. I had a RFA crawl under a shelf and it stayed there only to commit suicide. While it may move again if you physically move it or shine some light on it, at least you'll be giving it a chance to live.

i'd cover up the circulation pump asap, and wait for a week, if it's not coming out, pull it out and put it in a clear plastic container and let it sit in with a rock see if it helps. I did this with my GBTA and it stayed on the same rock ever since.

I'd personally move it or at least find a way to get it some light. I had a RFA crawl under a shelf and it stayed there only to commit suicide. While it may move again if you physically move it or shine some light on it, at least you'll be giving it a chance to live.

That's my fear, that it's suicidal or just not smart enough to know it needs light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i'd cover up the circulation pump asap, and wait for a week, if it's not coming out, pull it out and put it in a clear plastic container and let it sit in with a rock see if it helps. I did this with my GBTA and it stayed on the same rock ever since.

Yup, got one of the wife's stockings and covered the powerhead.

It moved because it wasn't happy. Even though it stayed there for a while, it eventually wanted to find a better spot. Hence the wandering.

I've never had a RBTA crawl into a hole and not come out on its own eventually. I've had one go all the way through a rock. It squeezed through a hole that was soooooooo small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It moved because it wasn't happy. Even though it stayed there for a while, it eventually wanted to find a better spot. Hence the wandering.

I've never had a RBTA crawl into a hole and not come out on its own eventually. I've had one go all the way through a rock. It squeezed through a hole that was soooooooo small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know. I'll give it some time to crawl out on its own. Thanks!

820e105ecb939e8622786a5a5cb2f574.jpg

UPDATE: Awesome news! She finally came out of the hole and is now actually front center in my tank! Now if she would just stay there...

You gonna do something about that GHA?

lol I knew someone was going to comment on that.. the struggle is real man. I'm looking to get more astrea snails this weekend to hopefully help out with the GHA. Any tips?

Back