High Tide Aquatics

In the beginning...

It’s been a while since I’ve posted some pictures so here you go. The tank is finally at a point that I think is doing well. Things are growing instead of dying.
5DF4F1D3-F556-4789-A1F5-69AA1222C899.jpeg
D74F7077-56CA-458D-8AD2-67C2F3D1713C.jpeg
ABE17330-18B5-42C3-B51E-CE111B0A5A53.jpeg
69AD3C6A-1702-4373-96D4-DD2FA9AE42EE.jpeg
DDC3C166-E3BA-4FE0-A406-899535814839.jpeg
B9AF6BDD-F0AE-4E2C-833E-CF656A535628.jpeg
D60946E7-5AC3-473F-AA63-E7EF0B19B350.jpeg
3DF0EA8B-697C-4056-9D1A-1157B44FE7A9.jpeg
47D26433-D04D-48E5-99E9-C80DCDA2C86E.jpeg

Last edited:
Once I get a good look at our place in Colorado I’ll have to start planning the move in more detail. I think I may want to build a new tank with the same footprint but 6” taller. That way I can keep the stand and the rock work. I’d bump up the main rock structure a good 4” taller if I did that though.

So that means you'll sell the tank?

Oh, it's a 120g? Looks much bigger than that got some reason.

I hope you keep visiting our forum once you move...honorary bar member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So that means you'll sell the tank?

Oh, it's a 120g? Looks much bigger than that got some reason.

I hope you keep visiting our forum once you move...honorary bar member.

He said he’s keeping everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I forgot to mention. The other day in another thread I had said that I’ve never had my trochus snails spawn. Well the next morning I woke up and the tank was cloudy. Sure enough all the trochus were smoke’n. I’m not sure what is needed for the babies but, I had my filter socks in and the cloudiness cleared up in a couple hours. My clam was loving it. She was....happy as a clam.

Man that sounds epic. Almost makes me want to move to another state too :).

Given what a pain it will be to breakdown and move a big tank, I would rather just start new and epic when I arrive. Unless it's going to be a long while until I get the new tank.

I used what I use for my stair rail systems. It’s called a u-channel. The glass sits inside it and then has rubber and plastic pieces that hold it tightly in place. The system requires that the glass is at least 1/2” thick and I used tempered starphire glass cut in a custom shape which cost quite a bit. If you had it cut in just a rectangle it would be quite a bit less. I have more of the u channel if you want to try it. How much do you need?

I used what I use for my stair rail systems. It’s called a u-channel. The glass sits inside it and then has rubber and plastic pieces that hold it tightly in place. The system requires that the glass is at least 1/2” thick and I used tempered starphire glass cut in a custom shape which cost quite a bit. If you had it cut in just a rectangle it would be quite a bit less. I have more of the u channel if you want to try it. How much do you need?

Thanks @Flagg37 at the moment I’m going to copy the idea with wood studs at the end and has more area for hold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So I’ve been a little lackadaisical with the tank lately since I’ve been a bit depressed with the prospect of having to break it down. I’ve only been doing the bare minimum which is feeding the fish. No algae scraping or emptying the skimmer cup or fiddling with anything. Guess what? Things are looking better than ever. Colors seem stronger and more pe. I guess I need to care less about my husbandry. I must have been like that little kid that loves their kitten so much that the squeeze it to death. It makes complete sense.

On a different note, I’ve had quite a few offers for many of my livestock but nothing has come to fruition. People have backed out of each deal. I’m by no means disappointed by this as I don’t really want to part with anything. I want to open up the discussion for brainstorming a way to be able to take my tank. What has been decided so far with the move is that we will load up a trailer on December 14th and it will arrive around the 21st. I was planning on getting some kind of temporary tankand sending it in this first shipment. I’ll be coming back on January 5th and likely driving my truck back to Colorado with anything that is left behind. This is when I would bring the livestock. I’m not quite sure how though. The drive is 18 hours if I drive non-stop. Can I put them in buckets? I have a freezer in my garage (the kind with a flip up lid) that I was thinking I could fill up with say 40 or 50 gallons of water and might be able to fit everything in. Since it’s insulated it should do well with holding its temperature but how do I keep it aerated? I’ve got two 10w heaters and an air pump that could be used hopefully without popping a fuse. Anyway, if you’ve got some insight I’m all ears.

Why not bag the fish for transport just as if they were being shipped and then place them in a cooler or styrofoam fish shipping container" You can grab a couple of the packet warmers and pout them in there if you want. They are usually fine for up to 48 hours that way.

@Bruce Spiegelman, @Kensington Reefer, good ideas. Part of the reason I was going to just fill up the freezer was because it’s about the same dimensions as my tank and I’d be able to (hopefully) put the massive piece of rock work in it, corals and all.

You could put your rock work in still and then bag the fish and corals separately. The only issue I see is a probable loss of some coral once they get into the new tank using the old rock. Even if you set a cycle going in the new Rocky Mountain high tank with a bacteria started and new sand you will still experience some level of a cycle when you put the old rock in. But I'm sue you can mitigate your losses.

Back