Reef nutrition

Bleach solution for cleaning equipment

Hi all,

I tried searching for this answer but couldn't find anything substantive. What percentage bleach solution should I use to clean equipment? Can I run pumps in a bleach solution? And what is the procedure after the bleach bath to make the equipment reef safe?

Thanks all!

I don't understand why you feel the need to bleach your equipment. It is unnecessary. But do as you will...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand why you feel the need to bleach your equipment. It is unnecessary. But do as you will...

I'm moving equipment from an old tank to a new tank, I'd like to kill any potential nasties before they move into my new tank.

10:1 ratio of water to bleach should be more than sufficient, just make sure you put your equipment in clean water after then use prime (or similar) while it's running to make sure you get everything.

But yeah, bleach is overkill for equipment.

Thanks. I think I've been out of the hobby for too long. I seem t remember 10 years ago folks were bleaching everything if they had to restart.

Feel free to bleach if you want.

But it all depends on what problem you are trying to solve.

Ich cysts - yes, bleach. Rare.
Embedded nitrates and phosphates in rock or sand - soak in water for weeks, with lanthanum
Calcium buildup - soak in water with vinegar or acid

Feel free to bleach if you want.

But it all depends on what problem you are trying to solve.

Ich cysts - yes, bleach. Rare.
Embedded nitrates and phosphates in rock or sand - soak in water for weeks, with lanthanum
Calcium buildup - soak in water with vinegar or acid

about lanthanum..so it combines with phosphate and ends up as sediment on the ground right? does it need to be removed physically or can it stay on the sandbed?

Correct. It’s LaPO4 and a bit gunky IME. I personally would not leave it in a display. I would setup a reactor. Do you currently have very hi PO4?

Bleach solution is the best way to make sure that you have destroyed all critters. It is what I use when I want to be sure I have killed everything

about lanthanum..so it combines with phosphate and ends up as sediment on the ground right? does it need to be removed physically or can it stay on the sandbed?

Do NOT use it by adding to your display tank directly.
The precipitate particles supposedly cause problems.

It is great for curing live rock in a bucket. Just wash afterwards.

If you use it for your main system as phosphate control, carefully make a reactor.
There are various threads on that on RC.

Surprised to hear you can use it on a running system at all. I’ve only ever heard of it being used to pull po4 from rock that is curing.

I’ve used it in a running system. Dose very slowly into the overflow and into a sock to collect the percipitate

I've also used it in a system before. I think I have a few details about it n my 300g journal build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

psw-05121-600-008_40262.jpg

Back