High Tide Aquatics

Fluconazole treatment with Kessil

About a month ago, I fought Bryopsis with Fluconazole. In many places I came across information that pointed out that you should turn off UV sterilizers when treating your tank with Fluconazole or UV spectrum from your lights. I have a small 8 gallon tank with a Kessil A160 running over it. Kessil has UV light in it and it cannot be turned off. For the first round of my treatment I removed my kessil and switched it with a basic LED. While I thought all of the Bryopsis was gone, some was left over and I am beginning to see it come back. I was planning to do a second round of treatment. However, I don't want to switch my lighting again. Has anyone had experience treating bryopsis keeping their Kessils on?

Trying to look for a answer, I found only one claim about Kessils not having any effect on the treatment:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/b...sing-fluconazole.285096/page-209#post-3917722

However, the main thread does say that UV channel should be turned off on Radions. With Kessils you don't get that luxury. Anyone here tried a treatment with Kessils?

TLDR;
Can I use Kessils when treating for Bryopsis with Fluconazole?

I love Bryopsis man...My tangs eat them up...anytime I get bryopsis on a frag plug I jump for joy!! If you got bryopsis send it my way!

I don’t think you had bryopsis. Nothing eats bryopsis. If tangs eat bryopsis, we wouldn’t have to use things like fluco to try and kill it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess what I'm trying
bryopsiswideview.jpg

My Yellow Tang did eat it, swear to God. When people gave me frags, they warned me they had bryopsis and showed it to me. I didn't sweat it and it disappeared, also Astrea Snails ate it.

I don’t think you had bryopsis. Nothing eats bryopsis. If tangs eat bryopsis, we wouldn’t have to use things like fluco to try and kill it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
my desjardini sailfin tang eats it. i also swear to god it was bryopsis as i had it in my 28 gallon and i would occasionally throw it into my 180 as a treat, but after it started taking over I used fluconazole with success

kessils over my 180 yes, but i treated in my 28 which does not have kessils. I had an AI Prime over my frag tank when I treated if thats any help

Yes -- Kessil's emit UV. So do almost every other LED light we use. So do Metal Halides -- a much more dangerous wavelength actually. Corals need some forms of UV. Why? Because it's what they get from the sun and it's needed for their growth. There are frequencies of LED's that don't emit UV, but LED manufacturers purposely put the proper and safe forms of UV in their lights because it stimulates the zooanthelle and increases photosynthesis as well as cause the corals to flouresece.

Bottom line -- if you switched over to a basic LED it almost assuredly emmitted the beneficial range of UV as well.

I suggest you call Kessil and ask directly on your specific question. They are incredibly responsive.

Last edited:
Yes -- Kessil's emit UV. So do almost every other LED light we use. So do Metal Halides -- a much more dangerous wavelength actually. Corals need some forms of UV. Why? Because it's what they get from the sun and it's needed for their growth. There are frequencies of LED's that don't emit UV, but LED manufacturers purposely put the proper and safe forms of UV in their lights because it stimulates the zooanthelle and increases photosynthesis as well as cause the corals to flouresece.

Bottom line -- if you switched over to a basic LED it almost assuredly emmitted the beneficial range of UV as well.

I suggest you call Kessil and ask directly on your specific question. They are incredibly responsive.
I do understand that Kessils emit UV, my question is more around is it powerful enough to interfere with Fluconazole treatment? From what I understand, UV treatment is used to degrade effects of Fluconazole in waste management systems. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24463173)

Has anyone tried the treatment with UV channels ON on their LEDs throughout the treatment?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That picture is that really bryopsis? I had it and none of my tangs touches it. I had it to a point where my 210 had so much every spot was covered and my coral died out. Had to start all over. That picture looks like fern calerpa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I started off my treatment with the Kessils on and after day 2 I am seeing some meltdown of bryopsis. Will keep posted with the progress.

Back