Kessil

So what are people using for a RO/DI system?

Just off the shelf BRS type of affair? Or trying to save a buck and get an off brand one and then add on all the extra junk to make it look shiny?

Just curious, because I think the years of having my RO/DI unit in my greenhouse have really caught up to me. A year back a lot of the tubing just sheered from movement. Now the Y valve that takes two membranes and dumps the output into one hose broke (and it did so internally too, so makes me think this isn't a UV issue, but maybe just overly hot in there). So now I have a 75GPD filter that has absolutely horrible output (makes me think the membrane might be shot too).

Either way, thinking of doing you're standard 3 prefilters, dual membrane for capacity + water saving, and then 3 DI resin canisters 2 of them with separate anion and cation chambers and a mixed bed to clean things up (yeah I saw the video). I realize they don't have an off the shelf version of that, but I do have a separate DI canister I can probably just use for like a 5 or 6 stage filter. I'll do the math on whether or not I'm actually saving money with an off brand (BRS includes some nicer filters).

I have a spectrapure system that I’ve added some additional spectrapure and BRS parts to as I go along. It has always worked great. If I needed a new system, I’d just buy a new 6-stage 150 GPD+ BRS system probably, or the equivalent spectrapure system as opposed to an DIY project or off-brands.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I swap most of my cartridge with 20" units to last a bit longer. The di I have 1 large 20" monster that holds slot of deionize resins. That takes a lot longer to deplete than the 10" units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I swap most of my cartridge with 20" units to last a bit longer. The di I have 1 large 20" monster that holds slot of deionize resins. That takes a lot longer to deplete than the 10" units.

One of the ideas I was thinking of was swapping out 20" canisters for the prefilters, but need to look into that to figure out if it's cost effective (do the filters cost more than double?) and if that ends up requiring more pressure (as it stands I need a booster pump to use 2 membranes)

I have 20" units on my prefilters as well. The 1 micron prefilters were cheap like 6-7 bucks. Then I have 20" monster for chloramine 20"x4" for chloramine blocks. Been working great and it's rated good for 17000 gallons of water.

How much waste water do you have? Do you make 1 g for every 3 of waste? In our area with the history of droughts...I have a hard time getting a unit to waste so much water.

I was thinking of just buying RO water from our local business for 25¢ a gallon(it already comes at zero TDS) and then get a dual DI from BRS with Anion and Canion mixed resin...and just use a small pump to feed it....should result in zero waste and clean RODI for like $130.

I haven't checked recently but back when I first setup my dual membrane setup I think I had 1.5G waste to every 1G water, before that with a single membrane and even no booster pump I was getting something like 5:1 which I didn't find very acceptable.

0 TDS for only RO water? I'd double check a TDS meter or double check the source (maybe it does a resin part)

How much waste water do you have? Do you make 1 g for every 3 of waste? In our area with the history of droughts...I have a hard time getting a unit to waste so much water.

I was thinking of just buying RO water from our local business for 25¢ a gallon(it already comes at zero TDS) and then get a dual DI from BRS with Anion and Canion mixed resin...and just use a small pump to feed it....should result in zero waste and clean RODI for like $130.

0 waste for you but what is the ratio for them to make the RO? If it’s worse than what you are doing at home, is it any better for waste water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This makes no sense to me, you will produce your own water for less than $.25 per gallon.

Just off the shelf BRS type of affair? Or trying to save a buck and get an off brand one and then add on all the extra junk to make it look shiny?

Just curious, because I think the years of having my RO/DI unit in my greenhouse have really caught up to me. A year back a lot of the tubing just sheered from movement. Now the Y valve that takes two membranes and dumps the output into one hose broke (and it did so internally too, so makes me think this isn't a UV issue, but maybe just overly hot in there). So now I have a 75GPD filter that has absolutely horrible output (makes me think the membrane might be shot too).

Either way, thinking of doing you're standard 3 prefilters, dual membrane for capacity + water saving, and then 3 DI resin canisters 2 of them with separate anion and cation chambers and a mixed bed to clean things up (yeah I saw the video). I realize they don't have an off the shelf version of that, but I do have a separate DI canister I can probably just use for like a 5 or 6 stage filter. I'll do the math on whether or not I'm actually saving money with an off brand (BRS includes some nicer filters).
I have an extra 20" canister for dinif you need it. I swapped out my sediment filter for a 20" one. Lasts longer and cost is less than double the 10" ones.

I am using ro buddie , I live in a small apartment and the form factor works fine for me, I have installed it in my patio and generally make 15g ro/di water every week

I'm using the 6 stage BRS with a chloramine monster. You could always set it up on your own, but the BRS one has a pressure gauge, the 3 point TDS meter (before, between, and after the 2 DI membranes) and an auto shutoff float ready to install.

I’m using a hodgepodge of BRS n Spectrapure. Essentially a 6 stage BRS style unit with dual RO and dual DI. Married to a Spectrapure auto flush system.

Hodgepodge is the direction I am now leaning, I mean I have 2 RO membrane housings that seem like they're in good shape, I have a booster pump, have a pressure gauge, a BRS single canister for DI resin. Only thing I think I really want are the clear canisters so I can be much more on top of changing filters out rather than remembering how long it's been since the last time, hell I even have a flow meter somewhere that I never hooked up.

Wow... I feel like such a Luddite! I'm using a simple 5 stage 10" canister system. Same system I've been using for over 10y.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AquaFX Barracuda - setup like most of you with extra Chloramine blasters. The water where my tanks are is high TDS. In the future (not now - more pressing issues to deal with) I plan to add a second membrane to reduce wastewater and actually install the auto shutoff and inline TDS meter I have.
Used to use separate DI resins and actually recharged with HCl and NaOH once. What a PITA! Plus, I think I used so much water rinsing them. Not for me. I might still have used resins if anyone is up for the adventure, but I'd have to check. IIRC you can also separate mixed resin because one sinks and other floats in water. On yeah, I also need to flush the membrane. Yikes - long overdue!

I have an extra 20" canister for dinif you need it. I swapped out my sediment filter for a 20" one. Lasts longer and cost is less than double the 10" ones.
Is it a clear canister? Good to know, although I got half a box of 10" filters still I need to go through.
That was supposed to say 10" for di. It is clearish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back