Kessil

Other Hobbies

Norm, the bullet? I recently got a temp control fan for my 22" smokey mountain. Got the bbq guru digiQ. Brisket has been my favorite too.

I run the CyberQ, have been for many years... love it. I use that on a drum smoker, and used to use it on a weber kettle.

My Q buddy and teammate, and where I smoke mainly, has a 125g propane tank stick smoker, a Gateway drum smoker, Stumps stretch XL and a pit barrel. We're ramping up to do a 500g or so stick smoker build soon, well... two actually, one for him and one for my house.

what are you running? Lump or brickets? I'm gearing up to make my own lump out of almond and pecan soon. I want to have uniform sizing on my lump for a better and more controlled burn.

I've had some incredible BBQ from those bullets, heck, even off the Kettles. I've done some really good smoking on the Kettle.

I was on a comp team this year. We placed mid pack at the KCBS contest at the Garlic Fest. Im not super into comp though, the matching a certain flavor profile isn't my cup of tea.
Being a BBQer myself, comp team sounds like fun.

Biking (mountain and road bike), paintball, music (drums, acoustic guitar, singing) and my drone!

I think I have a few lol.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

My Q buddy and teammate, and where I smoke mainly, has a 125g propane tank stick smoker, a Gateway drum smoker, Stumps stretch XL and a pit barrel. We're ramping up to do a 500g or so stick smoker build soon, well... two actually, one for him and one for my house.

Serious rigs :)

what are you running? Lump or brickets? I'm gearing up to make my own lump out of almond and pecan soon. I want to have uniform sizing on my lump for a better and more controlled burn.

Mostly briquets with some lump mixed in for the Bullet. When I had my offset, I burned down logs to go in the fire box.

Almond and pecan, nice!

... I'm gearing up to make my own lump out of almond and pecan soon. I want to have uniform sizing on my lump for a better and more controlled burn.
So for those of us that are allergic to nuts, have to wonder if cooking on Almond or Pecan would have an effect? Any Allergists in the group?

Being a BBQer myself, comp team sounds like fun.

Its a lot of work and we spent a ton of money on it in terms of meat. IIRC about $600, plus our contest fees. We towed our toy trailer in on Thursday, set up, spent all Friday prepping until about 10pm, then started cooking at brisket at 2am. We rested everything in Cambros until just enough time to get a good glaze on things. Turn ins happen 30 minutes apart, so you're slammed when it comes to plating. With 3 people on deck, we barely made turn in times. We ran the Stumps, and a Yoder. Next time we'll run two Gateway drums, the Yoder and the Stumps, and we'll do hot and fast. Nearly all the winners did hot and fast, and they got a lot of sleep :lol: I was so jealous seeing them pop out at 5am to start.

Chicken prep is rough. You have to square up every thigh, and you want uniform sizing. Then you remove the skin, skim off the fat and put the skin back on. Brisket you want to trim up as well, round it off to look natural, better flow and the biggest point, to fit in the plating box without doing post smoking trimming and loosing the smoke ring on the outer edges.

My hobbies are Scuba Diving (PADI Dive Master), and I used to ride motorcycles. I sold my BMW S1000 rr about a year ago now as a means to help improve my life expectancy :) Oh, and to free up some cash for another hobby

I run the CyberQ, have been for many years... love it. I use that on a drum smoker, and used to use it on a weber kettle.

Gresham, very cool. I run mostly brickets like Norm. I don't think my smoking is on par with what you are doing. That sounds very cool. When you say hot and fast, how hot and fast are they smoking at? I guess the big issue with that is your window shrinks right?

Last edited:
Gresham, very cool. I run mostly briskets like Norm. I don't think my smoking is on par with what you are doing. That sounds very cool. When you say hot and fast, how hot and fast are they smoking at? I guess the big issue with that is your window shrinks right?

Yah, your window does shrink... good and bad... no room for error. We've been doing butts and briskets this way, at home its not so bad. On the road, we'll see :lol:

What's cool is I can make BBQ toys at work. My friend that is on the team is also my boss at work. We've smoked at work a few times. First time we did halal tri tip and chickens (we wanted to include our Islamic coworkers) hot and fast, came out great. Second time we did 2 halal turkeys for thanksgiving. We only have 1 hanger for turkeys, so we did some stainless steel work, welded one up and blamo.... now we have two (and a lot of scrap to make more if we want).

Back