Neptune Aquatics

Few Quick Questions ...

For a 120g with up to 100g sump, how big a heater should I be considering - out in Dublin, East Bay.

Also - How much Live Sand should I consider for the 120??

Thanks!

I'd go with two 300w heaters minimum. I think that two heaters are always a necessity if you want stability especially if you'll be running an Apex or similar. I just set-up a 93 gallon and used 100 pounds of sand. If you want a deeper sand bed you'll need more. I started with 60 pounds and realized that with flow I was getting bare spots in multiple places. I'll probably add another 20 shortly because it's still a little bare in places and the wrasses bitch at me.

I run two 250's in each of my tanks. One is a 120 with no sump and the other is a 93 gallon with 30 gallon sump.

I agree with the recommendation of 2 heaters, one as backup, but I think that 2 300w heaters is too much. I have a 100 and a 150w in my 150g system. I had higher wattage heaters prior and it results in a lot of on/off cycles for the heater, or for your apex. If you get a lower powered heater it won’t cycle as much, causing wear and tear. You can then have a higher wattage backup turn on if the lower power heater can’t keep up with the temp drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd wager that more people in the club use an Apex or similar (on every tank) than don't by far. I use mine for many things (far less than folks like Vincent), but I think I could make a pretty good case they are worth almost for temperature control alone. When absolute stability is important then automation is key. And frankly, considering the overall expense of this hobby, a controller is cheap considering the money and headaches it will save you. You can find a good used Apex Jr or similar for as low as $150.00.

Holy cow that stuff's not cheap :eek: Most people are using this nowadays instead of manually doing it?

If you're not looking to spend that kind of money, but looking for a way to make sure that you heater doesn't get stuck "on" and boil your livestock, you could get a Ranco temperature controller. I used that myself prior to getting an Apex and it worked great.

https://smile.amazon.com/RANCO-ETC-111000-Digital-Temperature-Control/dp/B0015NV5BE

Note: It does require some wiring.

Depends upon the heaters though, if they have the bimetallic strips then absolutely use a controller to turn them on/off, but if you're getting titanium heaters those do not have bimetallic strips (usually)

If you're not looking to spend that kind of money, but looking for a way to make sure that you heater doesn't get stuck "on" and boil your livestock, you could get a Ranco temperature controller. I used that myself prior to getting an Apex and it worked great.

https://smile.amazon.com/RANCO-ETC-111000-Digital-Temperature-Control/dp/B0015NV5BE

Note: It does require some wiring.

Does that have the water proof sensor or so you still have to seal it yourself?

The Apex is one of my required pieces of equipment. Temperature monitor, leak monitor, overflow monitor, lighting timer and controller and just simply being able to shut down or turn on a piece of equipment without having to crawl around looking for the right electrical plug to pull or push. The peace of mind that if water gets some place it is not supposed to be with float switches and leak detectors having the pump automatically shut down and the alarm go off or temperature outside of parameters a text message from my aquarium.

seems everyone has classic Apexs for sale, not sure if it's just a normal progression of people leaving the hobby, or people wanting to jump in on the new version so they can use the alk/Ca/mag monitor dohicky in the future and want to get in before the market is flooded.

seems everyone has classic Apexs for sale, not sure if it's just a normal progression of people leaving the hobby, or people wanting to jump in on the new version so they can use the alk/Ca/mag monitor dohicky in the future and want to get in before the market is flooded.
Mike - do you use a controller?

I think both scenarios are represented. Especially since there was a discount during Black Friday.

Back