Neptune Aquatics

reef-pi 1.0 release

Hello Bay Are Reefers,
I am excited to announce the immediate availability of first public release of reef-pi, a DIY opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi. Over the past one year reef-pi several community reefers have built and provided valuable feedback to improve this project, and currently it offers following features
  1. Equipment control (power bar) and timers [upto 16 outlets and any number of timers]
  2. LED light control (day light cycle)
  3. Auto Top Off (using photoelectric sensor or float switches)
  4. Temperature control
  5. A dashboard of all the above-mentioned features and alerting.
Following is a screenshot of reef-pi dashboard
dashboard.png

Detailed build instruction and documentation can be found here: http://reef-pi.com
best
ranjib

If you ever want to build an Alkalinity-Tracker into that, send me a PM.
Not a direct alkalinity "measurement" per se, but something fairly crude that tells if your Alk goes up/down too much.
Which is really all you need.

Back when I was on a DIY-Controller kick, I had a decent plan for one, but never got around to it.
Of course, plan != working.

Hello Bay Are Reefers,
I am excited to announce the immediate availability of first public release of reef-pi, a DIY opensource reef tank controller based on Raspberry Pi. Over the past one year reef-pi several community reefers have built and provided valuable feedback to improve this project, and currently it offers following features
  1. Equipment control (power bar) and timers [upto 16 outlets and any number of timers]
  2. LED light control (day light cycle)
  3. Auto Top Off (using photoelectric sensor or float switches)
  4. Temperature control
  5. A dashboard of all the above-mentioned features and alerting.
Following is a screenshot of reef-pi dashboard
View attachment 8421

Detailed build instruction and documentation can be found here: http://reef-pi.com
best
ranjib
Congrats!

Not a direct alkalinity "measurement" per se, but something fairly crude that tells if your Alk goes up/down too much.

Back when I was on a DIY-Controller kick, I had a decent plan for one, but never got around to it.
I'll keep you posted. I have pH, doser, wave maker planned up for 2.0 release (will have two milestone, 2018 Makerfaire & X-Mas). Then I'll try to take a stab at Alk, I know certain ways to do that, but I need the doser module nailed first. Alk/Ca monitoring will involve automating the titration bits, which in turn involves a doser/peristaltic pump. I know we can get a hacked up version going quicker, but I want to be throrough, come up with something reliabile and maintainable, and back it up with proper docs and bill of materials.Hopefully the community will also grow a bit more by then.

Out of curiosity how are you detecting/changing(?) power cycles on your equipment? You say power bar, but is this just one of the "name brand" (Neptune, etc) power bars that you hack with the Pi?

Out of curiosity how are you detecting/changing(?) power cycles on your equipment? You say power bar, but is this just one of the "name brand" (Neptune, etc) power bars that you hack with the Pi?
its a DIY powerbar. Which is basically a wooden housing with bunch of receptacles mounted and a relay. The realy in turn is controlled by Raspberry Pi. The reef-pi software provides timer functionalities , and temperature controller style equipment on/off

timer.png

I have used the single outlet version of these. They are good. But very inconvenient, you'll have wires connected to them. The single ones are particularly interesting, you can stick a 10$ pi zero and have a controllable (digital timer, web interface etc) outlets.
The one that @Mark B suggested is better. I am looking for something wallmounted/hob style.. not something that i can mount inside my stand., since its relatively small, 29G biocube stand.

I am not very sure if its too risky for me. My tanks are nano or pico, and I really dont have way too many equipments. Each tank is powered by separate outlet/powerstrip al together. Some equipments (like LED) are not at all connected to the controller unit. I am looking for mostly DC equipment in future (like dc returns,wave makers etc), and I think I can just do away with something similar to a compute SMPS.. we'll see. for the time being something similar to what mark shared is my first choice. I am hacking with this one, as we speak

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Tripp-L...rve-Energy-Surge-Protector-TLP76MSG/203796169

I do like logical operator symbols :)

Back