Neptune Aquatics

Fish questions.

Hey guys!
So, I have a 20g nuvo tank and zero fish in it so far. I am trying to figure out some beginner fishies to get. Been learning about how some require special pod diets. Or not reef safe. Or grow to big. So any suggestions you guys can provide would be helpful! Than I can google them and out.

[emoji106]thanks team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep in mind you are gonna want a top for most fish, they tend to jump out sometimes. One of my favorites is royal gramma. Could probably throw a pair of bangaii cardinals in there too.

Keep in mind you are gonna want a top for most fish, they tend to jump out sometimes. One of my favorites is royal gramma. Could probably throw a pair of bangaii cardinals in there too.

I read that on a few fish. The tank came with a top, I just don't know how much it dampens the light coming through.

I read that on a few fish. The tank came with a top, I just don't know how much it dampens the light coming through.

Roughly 4% for mesh tops according to BRS. It was on one of their BRSTV videos. Don't remember which one though to share the link.

Roughly 4% for mesh tops according to BRS. It was on one of their BRSTV videos. Don't remember which one though to share the link.
The IM nuvo lid is not made from the thin mesh that you get from the BRS or artfully acrylic lids. It’s more dense and I bet less light gets through.

I second the royal gramma rec. Beautiful chill fish.

I've checked Par on lids of two of my Innovative marines. It's around 5% which for any decent light is negligible since we rarely run anything at full capacity anyway.

As for fish I'll third Royal Gramma's. Fun, gorgeous fish. I'd stay away from Bangaii's only because they just sit there. It's fine in a bigger tank that you can more fish in and still have movement, but in the 20 you want to maximize personality -- and Bangaii's are boring! Consider also a Midas Blenny, Firefish, a Pistol Shrimp/Goby pair, or a Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse. All fascinating fish with good personalities.

The IM nuvo lid is not made from the thin mesh that you get from the BRS or artfully acrylic lids. It’s more dense and I bet less light gets through.

I second the royal gramma rec. Beautiful chill fish.

I'll check out that other lid, thanks guys. And I'll look into royal gramma's.

I most likely will only want four(?) fish. And told my gf she is allowed to pick two from an approved list (one most likely will be a clown) having her be able to choose some fish let's me invest more money into this hobby with out repercussions. Haha.

Watch Out for clowns. Depends somewhat on what kind you get, but they are pretty territorial. In a tank that size they most likely have to go in last, and would be smart to start with as small of a speimen(s) you can find.

Watch Out for clowns. Depends somewhat on what kind you get, but they are pretty territorial. In a tank that size they most likely have to go in last, and would be smart to start with as small of a speimen(s) you can find.
...and other damselfish, if you like watching a peaceful tank.

Back