Our mission

Tank question

So I have a nuvo 20, it says 20 gallons but that's adding in the back compartment. I'm wondering if there is a way to measure how much actual display water I have. I know rock and sand will decrease that number farther.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are volume calculators out there - Just measure the dimensions in question. What’s your concern?

There are volume calculators out there - Just measure the dimensions in question. What’s your concern?

I was looking up fish and they all have suggested tank sizes. And calculators for dosing seemed to be based off how much water you have. So figured it would be a good number to learn.

Tank dimensions are 23.6x15x13"- minus sump, display is 23.6x12x13". Assuming an inch less on height for fill volume, display portion is around:

Total Volume = 15.94 Gallons US
Filled Volume = 13.49 Gallons US

208930-innovativemarinenuvofusionnano20kit-k_2.jpg

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calc...12&fill_ft=&fill_in=11&last=rect&action=solve

I was looking up fish and they all have suggested tank sizes. And calculators for dosing seemed to be based off how much water you have. So figured it would be a good number to learn.

The suggested size for fish is a rule of thumb and can be off depending on the source. It's also highly dependent on swimming room and other factors. You're best bet is ask on these boards. There's a lot of knowledge here and any fish you're considering has assuredly been kep by dozens of folks here and they can give you a good idea. I applaud the care you're taking to make sure you're a good caretaker of your livestock. It's unusual.

Gotcha. For dosing, keep in mind that all tanks consume at different rates. Best to start on the low end for dosing and adjust upwards until reaching stable numbers. Also, remember stable is more important than hitting specific numbers.

The suggested size for fish is a rule of thumb and can be off depending on the source. It's also highly dependent on swimming room and other factors. You're best bet is ask on these boards. There's a lot of knowledge here and any fish you're considering has assuredly been kep by dozens of folks here and they can give you a good idea. I applaud the care you're taking to make sure you're a good caretaker of your livestock. It's unusual.

These boards have been amazing! Ever since I figured out this tapatalk app I've been on my phone non stop reading and learning. I love how you guys are active on here.

Just FYI, you can take the total cubic inches and divide by 231 to give you the gallons. For example, if the tank was 48x30x19 (my tank dimensions) then there are 27,360 cubic inches. Then divide that by 231 and you get a little more that 118 gallons. If you want to get more accurate you can do things like take the interior dimensions, subtract overflow boxes, water level sand depth and such but you get the idea.

Back