Neptune Aquatics

Coral question

So what are these line things coming off the coral?

I had tested out shooting some food at the coral using a turkey baster and noticed this shortly afterwards. I assume it's some sort of way for the coral to grab the food.

Anyways here's a pic. Hard to see, but it's he wavy dark lines

f184499a58b8b734654d53dfce6c4d7c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't really see the picture on my phone, but it sounds like you're describing sweeper tentacles. He's just checking to see what's in reach and whether to go to war. Hammers are pretty aggressive to other corals.

Are there vermetid snails on the rock that the hammer is attached to or the coral skeleton itself? If so, and the stringy stuff is white/clear, it's probably vermetids throwing out their mucus web to catch food.

If it's brown and coming out of the hammer's mouth, it may be poop or zooxanthellae being expelled, but poop and zooxanthellae don't usually come out right after feeding normally.

Last edited:
Can't really see the picture on my phone, but it sounds like you're describing sweeper tentacles. He's just checking to see what's in reach and whether to go to war. Hammers are pretty aggressive to other corals.

Not likely a sweeper, think jorahx4 is referring to the stringy stuff. Sweeper would just look like a stretched out, thin and elongated tentacle.

stringy clear/white stuff. the hammer is just on the frag i got it on, sitting in the sand. nearest coral is 3-4 inchs away. i only have 2 snails. neither were near by. and yeah bruce it is hard to see it in the picture haha. my phone is terrible at taking pictures.

Hard to see in the pic but mostly likely either sweepers to catch food or mucous from the surface. Either way it’s fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back