Reef nutrition

Reef Chemistry -- So now what?

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
Got my results on both tanks back from ICP Analysis. Any experts what to weight in on any action I should take?

Attachments

• Tank Report 1-2-2018 2_03_58 PM.pdf
    84 KB · Views: 304
  • Tank Report 1-2-2018 2_06_25 PM.pdf
    84.3 KB · Views: 281
I don’t have anything helpful to say except that this doesn’t seem to be particularly helpful.

And that you have a lot of sodium and chloride in your saltwater tanks lol.

I also kind of feel ripped off. I was all set to see how valuable this info was going to be so I could "fix" tons of stuff -- but nothing....

Reactions: JVU
It did do some good...confirmation what you're doing is working.

It'll be interesting to see what the results are after the carx is running.

I wouldn’t worry about it right now but check again in a month and see if you are getting accumulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the 120 report your potassium is too low (get a test kit and start supplementing), iron is zero (same verdict), and iodine is too high (slow down on the Fuel?)

On the 120 report your potassium is too low (get a test kit and start supplementing), iron is zero (same verdict), and iodine is too high (slow down on the Fuel?)

Awesome! Thank you. Strangely enough I do use Fuel in the SPS cube, but don't use it in the 120.

Iodine and lanthanum are high on both tanks. Are you dosing iodine without measuring and using lanthanum chloride to bind and remove phosphate?

Magnesium is a bit off (slightly out of range on your cube and slightly under in your 120).

Iodine and lanthanum are high on both tanks. Are you dosing iodine without measuring and using lanthanum chloride to bind and remove phosphate?

Magnesium is a bit off (slightly out of range on your cube and slightly under in your 120).

Nope -- the only thing I dose is Calcium, Alk and Mag as well as Nopox in the 120 and Fuel in the cube.

More along the lines of keep an eye on it. There really hasn't been any long term implications of using lanthanum for phosphates other than it having an effect on alkalinity; it depletes it.

Awesome! Thank you. Strangely enough I do use Fuel in the SPS cube, but don't use it in the 120.
I wonder if some other additive could be boosting iodine then. I saw an improvement in my corals after testing and adding potassium. First I noticed that my orange monti was light peach, so I just bought a Red Sea test kit to see if low potassium might be contributing (potassium contributes to red pigment and zooxanthellae growth/coral darkening). I found my potassium was in the low 300s so I bought a supplement and all my red/orange montipora look healthier (more color and zooxanthellae/deeper color). So maybe you can see if adding some potassium back slowly affects your reds/oranges?

You now have a big problem!
When something goes wrong with a coral, and it always does, you cannot just blame the water.
:)

Back