Cali Kid Corals

My First Reef: Redsea 525XL

So what I thought was STN turned out to be a much more rapid tissue loss (infection?).

This video shows how quickly the tissue was browning up and dying. Is there such thing as brown jelly for SPS?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/0mE6bIUaMr1h0CRo1

After it was finished with the Setosa, the infection started to spread onto the poker star

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 3.28.10 PM.png

I extracted the larger chunk of the poker stars and cut away the dead stuff. That seems to stopped the spread.

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 3.29.12 PM.png

Next time blow off the brown stuff with a baster and that should stop the spread of it over to the pokerstar. If it doesn't, use IC gel and glue slightly past the recession onto the healthy tissue of the pokerstar.

Is this all related to your alk problems?

Nah the alk has been stabilized for weeks now. The main casualty of that episode was a tenuis colony.

This just happened this week very rapidly with this colony of sestosa. I have other colonies that are just fine.

Next time blow off the brown stuff with a baster and that should stop the spread of it over to the pokerstar. If it doesn't, use IC gel and glue slightly past the recession onto the healthy tissue of the pokerstar.

Hopefully there won't be a next time lol. But cleaning out the dead stuff + some preventive cutting seems to have halted the problem. Wish I have done it earlier, probably could have save half of that colony.

Last few months has been pretty hectic. The tech startup that I worked at for 7 yrs came to an sad ending. So I spent most Jan+Feb interviewing all around the bay. That didn't leave much energy for the tank. But luckily the tank is matured enough that it pretty much chug along on its own. The biggest down side to my neglect is the aiptasia population. I had them under control with aiptasia-x but 2 months of free growth allowed them to spread everywhere. Time to to get some nudi or peppermint.

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 8.15.36 PM.png

Last few months has been pretty hectic. The tech startup that I worked at for 7 yrs came to an sad ending. So I spent most Jan+Feb interviewing all around the bay. That didn't leave much energy for the tank. But luckily the tank is matured enough that it pretty much chug along on its own. The biggest down side to my neglect is the aiptasia population. I had them under control with aiptasia-x but 2 months of free growth allowed them to spread everywhere. Time to to get some nudi or peppermint.

View attachment 9295

I have a bunch of peppermints left over

$4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Julius is right on the money there; I'd be a little more concerned on the GSP than aiptasias. Some people had success with a file fish for those pesky anemones.

I keep the gsp well off my main rock. I have smaller substructure that I let them attach too. I do trim them back once in a while when they get too close to main rock.
The two GSP rocks are in contact with other rocks? Are you not concerned GSP jumping over?
Hope you find a great job in no time!
Darn. Sorry to hear about the startup. Hope things worked out for you. Tank is looking pretty good
Thanks guys. I already started on new job mid March and things has settled down a little so I have a bit more energy to deal with this now?

I have a bunch of peppermints left over
$4
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Are they pretty reliable with aiptasia? Or hit/miss? I'm kinda concern with them going after soft stuff (my dendro, scoly). I was pondering about getting nudi instead.

It’s so good to hear an update. Like it’s already been said, your tank looks awesome.

So if all you’ve been doing is water changes what does that look like? How much and how often do you do it?

Back