Cali Kid Corals

Polishing Acrylic Tank?

Wondering if anyone has polished their acrylic tank? If so, how much work is it... and how long might it take?

Noticed that tank I got from Neptune (free so can't really complain) has hazing on part of the front and one side...

Trying to decide if I want to spend time do it myself or just send it out to that service on CLfor $160...

Btw, anyone ever use the acrylic tank repair service from there in N. San Jose?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Is a lot of elbow grease but do-able.
if you have a 5" random orbit sander (variable speed preferred) Rockler in Concord sells a nice Micro Mesh hook and loop kit. the main problem would be the corners but you can get an acrylic polishing kit; I believe Pentair Aquatics is the brand; same thing as the Micro Mesh. then to finish polishing, Novus 3 and 2; no need for #1
You can also get fine grit wet/dry sand-paper from automotive places and then use the Novus.
Achievable yes but that will depend on you if you are up to DIY

Thanks! This is helpful... sending it out it is then...

.. I get into enough trouble with all my tank projects already. :)

...will invest my time working on a stand instead... still will be in trouble but half as much. Lol.

I've done my fair share of cleaning up, and to be honest depending upon the level of of screwiness it can be a fast painless fix or a longer arm hurting fix. If there's no deep gouges going through Novus 3 through 1 with one of those foam ball polishers on a drill can work wonders, did 34 square feet of acrylic tank in an afternoon (tank was big enough for me to lay inside though, so that may have made it easier :D. I've also done it by hand and it definitely takes some elbow grease but if it's like a scratch it's no problem, if it's a small hazy area no problem, if it's like a whole pane then yeah it's a lot harder to do.

I've done my fair share of cleaning up, and to be honest depending upon the level of of screwiness it can be a fast painless fix or a longer arm hurting fix. If there's no deep gouges going through Novus 3 through 1 with one of those foam ball polishers on a drill can work wonders, did 34 square feet of acrylic tank in an afternoon (tank was big enough for me to lay inside though, so that may have made it easier :D. I've also done it by hand and it definitely takes some elbow grease but if it's like a scratch it's no problem, if it's a small hazy area no problem, if it's like a whole pane then yeah it's a lot harder to do.
I need to get 2 panels done... small 18x24 but don't have much time these days...

Son out it's gonna go... :)

Send out for the service! Polishing one acrylic tank (if you do it right) is guaranteed carpel tunnel for two weeks. If you work at a computer all day like I do, it’s not worth it.

Back