Kessil

Ricordea Yuma Baby + Dead Acros

So here's an example of ricordea coral propagation via self pedal laceration (foot cutting).

My ricordea yuma (my most expensive one) is making small movements around its fragplug.

In this picture you can see a large amount of foot being left behind while its connection to the main ricordea is getting thinner.

11244919_970569772967898_6490364841221003361_n.jpg

IMG_4865.jpg
annotated.jpg

4/30/2016 Soon that foot will separate from the mother and become it's own ricordea. :)

img_4870-jpg.5014

5/6/2016 Baby almost fully separated. Still gray color.

img_4879-jpg.5015

5/13/2016 Baby fully separated and turning green coloration.

Now lets showcase some of my dead acro frags ;__;

IMG_4866.jpg

This was a nice mariculture showing some awesome color potential (STN over the past 2 weeks)

Here's a picture of the ORA Hawkins Echinata when it was alive
image.jpg

IMG_4864.jpg
RTN'd after about 2 days in my tank. The base was a live and STN'd slowly.

IMG_4867.jpg

I've been hanging onto this last nub of growth for the longest time. I still have one polyp alive! Do you see it near the base at around 1 O Clock? Also in picture is Geneva's Red Planet! Very awesome coral been doing good in my tank.

Last edited:
That Yuma looks great. How long will it take for the baby to fully develop and separate from the mother? Do you sell any of your corals?

I do sell some occasionally.

It depends on the tank but I think it will separate wihin the next week or two. Then the baby will turn bright green for a bit and then develop its parent color slowly.

I should also show you guys my blue ricordea that ripped it self in half to form two ricordeas.

Michael (@Enderturtle), did I ever tell you the story about that baby red planet?? Mike (@Coral reefer ) was doing my regular tank maintenance and fragged everything I brought to the swap. The red planet just recently started growing like crazy and Mike wanted a small piece that was growing on the plug separate from the main piece so he cut it off. While cleaning up around the kitchen I saw that small frag on the floor and was about to throw it out when Mike said to glue it on a plug to see if it would grow! I am happy it is alive in your tank!!

It did come with some dying spots but immediately when I put the red planet frag in my tank, it had good polyp extension. I could tell it was doing good. The dying spots recovered.

I love stories behind frags! I have some zoas that were in an aquarium at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

I had a red planet frag before from someone else but it died. Very glad I get to try again and am successful (so far :p)

Thanks again Geneva!

Haha I love that story @Geneva, I'm always saving stuff from the garbage bin at our house. I saved an almost microscopic piece of tricolor acro from the garbage can a few months ago and now it's fully encrusted and (hopefully) starting to shoot up. I also saved an acan that got nuked by a chalice a few weeks back (it looked like an dead skeleton within minutes of being attacked). It's recovering nicely with more then a few heads fully formed.

Heres the acan i wanted to throw in the trash. @Ahruk saved it and put in her tank. Approximately 30% of the flesh has regenerated.

the chalice was 100% fine indicating this chalice is tougher than this acan

image.jpg

I just threw away an acan today that I crushed a few weeks ago when I was moving some of my rockwork around. I had broken the skeleton and the piece was just dangling stretching the flesh it was attached to. I tried gluing the piece of skeleton back and that seemed to help but somehow it broke loose again so I figured it was time to let him die.

Theyre actually really tough. All the polyps of the acan in that picture receded to bone and goop.

I threw it in the trashcan and she picked it out.

In jills tank all the Acan's baby polyps have regenerated and half of the big polyp has grown back. Alive but not thriving. Sure it will be fine.

Yep, I can second that although I'd disagree with the not thriving part. I think it's pretty thriving considering that it seems to be growing and getting better every day. Although the color is definitely still off and it's got a long way to go to get back to where it was. I think that it is absolutely incredible how quickly it's regenerating.

I think a lot of the LFS keep "dead" corals because some of them come back to life! It is difficult for me to keep sad corals in my tank though so OUT they go when probably someone else could have saved them.....

Back