Cali Kid Corals

which Koralia??

I took out the closed loop in my 4 ft 50 gal tank.
Want to run a couple Koralia's for flow (besides skimmer and canister running carbon/phosban)
My question is .. would 2 K3's be enough flow, or should I use the K4's??
My tank is softies and LPS .. no SPS. So want enough flow to keep the tank clean and healthy, but not so much that it would be a polyp storm in the tank.
(PS. I did look at a couple K2's a guy was selling, was surprised how weak they felt)
Thanks!!
Dave

I am running two K4s in my standard 90 and wouldn't mind having a bit more flow, but I am moving into SPS. The two K4s have been good for my softies.

[quote author=cwolfus link=topic=5040.msg61868#msg61868 date=1225518435]
Is your tank bare bottom? If not, K4s may create a sand storm or at least unintended sand movement.
[/quote]

Exactly why I run 3 K3's. I had 2 K4's but with the deep sand bed that I run my san was getting blown everywhere. Since you have no SPS corals I think the K3's will work well for you.

It's all really depend on how/where you point the PH.. I used to have a Tunze 6025 in a 12G and I didn't have any problem with the sand.

The Koralias have a rather unusual dispersion pattern. Its unlike other PHs directing flow in 4 directions. In my tank one of the 4 always seems to blow on the sand. ;)

I though they fix that problem with the new ones ??? .. I had a k3 and it had a V flow shape. If that is the problem, then you would have the same problem with K3. IMO, 4' is pretty long for the K3 to push water all the way to the other side.

They have begun to include a flow directing nozzle thing which I believe is designed to narrow the pattern a bit...I took it off of mine because I wanted the broader area of coverage.

I doubt that directing nozzle does much. The flow was not only comming out of the front of these things but also the sides. I'm not saying its a bad thing though. Lots of people liked the diffuse flow.

Back