Jestersix

saltwater mixing station build....

Always wanted to do this. I was getting tired of making a mess each time. I wanted a slightly more automated setup. I configured it to collect RODI on one tank and then mix the saltwater on the other. Will also utilize the pump to bring water to fish tanks and ATO. Will also have the choice to drain with or without the pump. Stay tuned.....

Last edited:

moved the RODI unit above the two tanks.

hooked it up to the washer.

saddled to a piece of 1 1/4 pvc then slipped it down the 2" drain

prefilter before the Aquatec

Float...

Last edited:

not sure if these Aquatec plastic brackets will holdup being vertical with the weight of the Aquatec.

ending up using these TBolt clamps with rubber padded mounts. I've always wanted to use car parts for the reef hobby!

cut up some neoprene to line the clamps as well

Last edited:

got the Iwaki ready. Should have gotten the USA made ones that came with the plug. But I wanted the more compact Japanese version. But with the homedepot rigged box it ended up using the same amount of space.

Last edited:

Was thinking about putting a level indicator using these bulkhead push connects and clear tubing. Not sure yet cause the tanks seem more transparent enough to see water level. It will probably end up installed on the brute containers instead.

Last edited:
Where did you get your water container?

Great question. these things are pretty reasonable but freight is expensive. with the help of google searching i was able to get these free shipped through Ruralking.com

I found them to be the cheapest with freight included. NO tax since its out of state.

Salt mixing stations make things so much easier. Mine doesn't have all the bells and whistles but the RODI feeds into the top brute and is gravity fed into the saltwater brute. I also like the table top of it so my wife doesn't get mad about testing all parameter in the house. I did get rid of the cheap rodi setup that's back in the corner. I upgraded to a spectrapure with chloramine removal. Thing is a monster! You will love it once your mix station is up and running.

Attachments

• 20160817_153609-1-1494x2656.jpg
    20160817_153609-1-1494x2656.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 620
Salt mixing stations make things so much easier. Mine doesn't have all the bells and whistles but the RODI feeds into the top brute and is gravity fed into the saltwater brute. I also like the table top of it so my wife doesn't get mad about testing all parameter in the house. I did get rid of the cheap rodi setup that's back in the corner. I upgraded to a spectrapure with chloramine removal. Thing is a monster! You will love it once your mix station is up and running.
only reason I did this was for the wife. I have 3 tanks. the DT is in the living room and the 2 QTs in the playroom. My wife hates water change day, which meant brute containers, hoses, salt, etc all over the house. She hated having all the clutter as I wait for the water to heat up. Took me a long time to pull the trigger. I can't wait !!

I almost went the stack style at first. I got rid of a chest freezer under the cabinets and was going to put a workbench instead. Then the lightbulb went off!!

only reason I did this was for the wife. I have 3 tanks. the DT is in the living room and the 2 QTs in the playroom. My wife hates water change day, which meant brute containers, hoses, salt, etc all over the house. She hated having all the clutter as I wait for the water to heat up. Took me a long time to pull the trigger. I can't wait !!

Haha lets face it we really do these things for the quite! When I'm in the garage doing stuff for my tank I never hear "You're always messing with your fish" or "When are you going to pay attention to something other than your fish". I let her buy purses as her vice but she always seems to remind me my tank cost more than her purse :D. Enjoy it!

The best mixing station purchase I made was this:
https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-Products-FG265500GRAY-V-Container/dp/B00RD9FO0C/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1481836466&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Rubbermaid+Commercial+FG265500GRAY+Brute+Heavy-Duty+Waste%2FUtility+Container+%2855-gallon%2C+Gray%29

Why: Because it can mix a full 50 gallons at once, which is a very common size for salt mixes.
No endless measuring and scooping.
And perhaps more important: No worries about contents settling differently in the bag.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-Commercial-Products-FG265500GRAY-V-Container/dp/B00RD9FO0C/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1481836466&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Rubbermaid+Commercial+FG265500GRAY+Brute+Heavy-Duty+Waste/Utility+Container+(55-gallon,+Gray)
Why: Because it can mix a full 50 gallons at once, which is a very common size for salt mixes.
And perhaps more important: No worries about contents settling differently in the bag.

Those Brutes work great! Home Depot sells the 55 gal for around $50 with the lid too.

Its on sale too! You cant beat that price. I like those older style Brutes. I have a white one. The regular priced 55 gal brute container costs more than the ace roto mold containers. I was able to get those 2 55 gallon containers for less than $200.

https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-C...uty+Waste/Utility+Container+(55-gallon,+Gray)
https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-C...uty+Waste/Utility+Container+(55-gallon,+Gray)

Genius! Don't know why I never thought of doing a whole 50 gallon batch. Gotta add this so no more measuring!

Back