Jestersix

Rock structure building

It's all relative lol. Your stage is the easiest to travel with. Car seat (double as sleeping spot), milk, diaper and you are good to go. They still spend a considerable amount of time sleeping so you can do stuff. Proof:

View attachment 6233
What game is that? If you were feeding the baby and playing that would be impressive.

Edit oops arrived late to that party

Last edited:
As I look at my vat of rocks that have cured over the past whatever months it occurred to me, will me pulling these guys out, slapping this cement on, and waiting for them to cure pretty much negate all that cycling that's done on them? I mean they're packed in there good enough to make a Tetris master nod his head in approval, so there's no way I can put a completed structure back in.

I'm sure there will be some die off of bacteria, but don't they ship LR from Indonesia damp and not submerged in saltwater? That stuff stays alive (bacteria at least). Maybe keep the non-cementated parts covered with a damp cloth?

This is all coming out of my a** and I really don't know the answer. ;)

Well I know for a fact that yes while LR is damp shipped it definitely needs to cycle, of course that could be due to macroscopic organism die off and less about microscopic. I'm not super concerned about this build session/party, because it's not like I'm going to use all my rock to build one megastructure, but in the future I wonder how much cycling I'll have to do... although now that I think of the tank will be new so all the surface area needs to be colonized, and if I use sand (still unsure if I will) that needs to be colonized.

That said, someone on another forum said there will be some die off, but shouldn't be critical levels unless the rock is complete dried. Which makes me wonder does that rock need to be complete dry for this stuff to attach two pieces?

Super quick? A full cycle takes what, 6 weeks or so? And that's with super dead base rock that has been sun bleached into oblivion so the only life on it is terrestrial bacteria.

Edit: Ok I realize I'm interchanging terms that are not synonymous with each other. When I say I'm "curing" rock, I basically mean it's cycling in a vat with water and a pump (not even a heater!). The rock was bleached, then reduced further in muriatic acid, so I'm hoping there's zero junk on it that can die off.

As long as it doesn't stay out of water for too long I think you're fine. Just need to find cement that will cure under water. Leave it out for the 20 min to get to working strength and put it back in. Just needs to stay damp.

Emaco will not work underwater. Emaco will work on "wet" rock (ie Drained a bit, not dripping). Bacteria can easily stand being out of water long enough to do an Emaco build, I do tank remodels all the time - corals and nems included. Those long "cures" in tubs just burn of any biologicals, not really building up a working bacteria culture. From my personal experience, best way to seed a tank and get up to speed is using Dr. Tim's One and Only. All of these statements are my personal opinion, take it for what it is worth...LOL

Yeah but pee is ammonia, and there's plenty of bacteria in the world, by pass that slow ammonia spike by just jump starting it into the second phase! :D

*insert joke about seed here*

Actually I'm not adverse to a slow cycle process, it will help me make sure everything is actually ready rather than rushing into it... as I always seem to do like a kid on Christmas claiming 12:01am is technically Christmas

Back