Our mission

Lawrence's first (90g) salt water tank

So here is a question-we added the salt-approximately 17 lbs. The PH is currently 8.2 but the S.G. Is coming in a little low at about 1.015. So I need to add a little more salt but don't want to overshoot the PH.
How potent is the salt to PH?
Do I start by adding 1/2 pound or 1 pound at a time to get to there?
90 gal tank with 100 lb of rock and prob 30 lbs sand in terms of water displacement. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about the pH at this point. Just get salinity where you want it. PH is variable to environmental air, lighting cycle, skimmer, alk etc. you can worry about that later.

Thanks. Good to know.

Yay!! Glad to see this getting wet...had a great time on this build and looking forward to watching it start to grow...

I cleaned the glass a bit to show off your work! We can't wait to get some corals on there and get a few fish. Nephews are visiting this weekend -- hoping they think it is a fun idea to "Reef" with us.

Our latest:

The overflow is noisy and we'll have to sort that out as we go forward. But bit by bit, we are making it work.

And now the temp probe is acting up and telling us the water temp is 85+ (it isn't). Fun times.

Next up: glass tops and lighting! And a fish!

Glad to know tank is running!
A side note. When I had the 90 at home, initially I had a Mag 9; overflow was noisy as the drain tried to keep up with the pump's flow. I switched it for a Mag 7 and that did the job.

Glad to know tank is running!
A side note. When I had the 90 at home, initially I had a Mag 9; overflow was noisy as the drain tried to keep up with the pump's flow. I switched it for a Mag 7 and that did the job.

Hmmmm. We have a 8.5 I think, but I just grabbed a 250gph to help when empty the tank that we figured we could use for water changes. Thinking that wouldn't be powerful enough ongoing, but I might see if that helps while we are cycling and and tinkering and keeps the noise down. @CoralReefer also suggested T'ing off the return pump to cut the flow into the tank.

Hmmmm. We have a 8.5 I think, but I just grabbed a 250gph to help when empty the tank that we figured we could use for water changes. Thinking that wouldn't be powerful enough ongoing, but I might see if that helps while we are cycling and and tinkering and keeps the noise down. @CoralReefer also suggested T'ing off the return pump to cut the flow into the tank.

Correction - it is a 9.5.

So is dropping from 950gph to 250gph while we are cycling a bad idea? Or just briefly to see if cutting the flow cuts the noise enough? Based on what we are learning, we want a lot of movement right now to get things mixed - but we can always fire up a Jaebo.

Correction - it is a 9.5.

So is dropping from 950gph to 250gph while we are cycling a bad idea? Or just briefly to see if cutting the flow cuts the noise enough? Based on what we are learning, we want a lot of movement right now to get things mixed - but we can always fire up a Jaebo.

Don't think it would hurt your cycle at all to mess around with the return pump for a couple hours. Bacteria does need oxygen though, so eventually you'll need gas exchange and surface agitation.

If the smaller pump fits onto existing plumbing easily go for it. Will want a power head running for sure tho

Thanks! I think we'll consider stepping down the pump regardless - it was pushing around the substrate, too. Lawrence can do the flow calcs.

This is a safe sealant to use for future reference.

031.jpg

We'll be real reefers one day...
71afa5589df2d4111bf19fff6877de89.jpg

Salinity at 1.015 SG and 21-22 PPT so we need to salt it up.

We have the new versa top, and have almost made a lighting decision.

Better one day than never!

If your ammonia has not been at least 2.0 ppm during your cycle, I'd recommend doing so to make sure your cycle gets kick started on the right note. Gotta make sure there's enough to feed the bacteria to multiply to a nice reef sustaining population of nitrifying bacteria.

Good to know. You mean we don't need to put a "damsel" in distress by rising ammonia levels?

Right, you can do a fishless cycle. Add ammonium chloride until you get to 2.0 ppm and add some of the bottled bacteria to help speed up the process.

DrTim's Aquatics One & Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria for Cycling Aquaria, Salt Water, 8-Ounce https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DVRHMS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bpLFybHD70F8P

I wouldn't get it on Amazon though. I got the same size bottle from @robert4025 at Neptune for 1/2 the price.

Back