got ethical husbandry?

Need Input from all members for 2017

Tidepools there are awesome! A LONG time ago I organized a little club trip to my favorite secret tidepool spot next door at Princeton. (Okay, not secret - the Maverick's surfing watch beach.) We also did an elephant seal walk at Ano Nuevo. I would totally go tidepooling!
On an unrelated side note, last Friday I went to Point Reyes and harvested delicious mussels at my favorite secret mussel beach. (Okay, also not secret.) We inadvertently had some tiny anemone and limpet hitchhikers, so I put them in saltwater and have been changing water and giving them some fridge time. They are looking good! We will look at them at school tomorrow and change our "beaker of doom" into a "coldwater tank" as best we can.

Tide pools are fun! But not really for younger kids if you want to head further out to where most of the critters are. Rocks are slippery and accidents do happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Jonathan still around? It was cool seeing what he had going on at the Romberg Tiburon Center. There was a large cafeteria and grill the last time we were there. Very education for the young ones too boot.

I always thought it would be cool to have accomplished aquarists in the bay area who have their tanks featured (TOTM). They can discuss tank build, qt section, dosing, equipment choice, feeding, etc.

As far as local guys Luis Rocha of the Steinhart and his deep water dives would be interesting, Bob Fenner is always a good talk and is not too far in San Diego, and a bit further in Colorado is Jake Adams to give a talk on all the cool equipment coming out in the hobby.

Last edited:
I talked to Bob today. It seems members aren't turning out to meetings like they use to. Different crowd? Regardless I would be happy to help out bring in speakers members would like to listen to.
As long as the speaker is fine with 20-35 listeners then we are a go. How many attendees do you think used to come to speakers you were booking 5 years ago? I disagree with bob and think it's about the same amount. Definitely mostly a different crowd, but about the same size imo

As long as the speaker is fine with 20-35 listeners then we are a go. How many attendees do you think used to come to speakers you were booking 5 years ago? I disagree with bob and think it's about the same amount. Definitely mostly a different crowd, but about the same size imo
The place was definitely packed when Bob spoke. My guess is 60+ people.

My 2017 seems to be starting off a lot calmer than 2016 (not planning on a new house this year, and hopefully we've gotten the major surgeries out of our system).

An event that happened a couple years ago that I really enjoyed was when we had the fish food making event. I know, I know, I'm a broken record and keep bringing it up. Along those lines, I wonder if there are any other practical hands-on things we could get people out to do.

Other ideas:
Rock making (cement rocks, not sure if anyone does that anymore; it was fun when I did it)
Tutorial on making your own 2-part alk and ca supplements

My 2017 seems to be starting off a lot calmer than 2016 (not planning on a new house this year, and hopefully we've gotten the major surgeries out of our system).

An event that happened a couple years ago that I really enjoyed was when we had the fish food making event. I know, I know, I'm a broken record and keep bringing it up. Along those lines, I wonder if there are any other practical hands-on things we could get people out to do.

Other ideas:
Rock making (cement rocks, not sure if anyone does that anymore; it was fun when I did it)
Tutorial on making your own 2-part alk and ca supplements
We JUST did rock making in Jan :)

DIY food sounds interesting

We have 2 frag swaps and the pot luck set for this year. Looking to see what everyone thinks for the rest of the year? Do we want to meet every month or every other month? Do we want more tank tours? Do we want more get togethers just to be social? Please respond with any suggestions.

Bay Area Reefers needs to have an annual mega auction selling corals, fish, new or used reef supply and , etc. The club would benefit 25% from the total sales and the seller would receive 75% of his or her total sales. Only supporting members can sell and buyers are open to the public. This would help generate more supporting members.
I helped ran San Francisco Aquarium society for 30 + years and still active in this organization. Mike (previous BAR 2016 vice president) observed April 7, 2017 SFAS Mega Auction and gave it a thumb up. If interested BOD come by my house for a meeting on this subject.
PS, Tank Guy, my forest fire montipora has grown into a small colony. Thank you so much.

My personal take is we should help organize trading or DBTC but not try to sell corals to public. That's really hard to organize and probably steps on toes of our sponsors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back