Kessil

Does anyone in the club have one of these?

Corallus

Supporting Member
I'm in need of additional nutrient export for my tank. A slightly wet running skimmer and 25% water changes every other week won't get my water below ~25ppm NO3 (sometimes even higher) and algae is becoming an issue. I'd love a decent size refugium, but I just can't make it work with my current setup, so was thinking about an ATS. I could go DIY, or could purchase... This one looks good, even though a little pricey:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cw-100-external-algae-scrubber-clear-water.html

Does anyone have experience with one of these?

I have the 302 aquatics, which is practically identical to the BRS one. You could build one yourself, and the lights are about $20 each on Amazon. PVC pipe, fittings, zip ties, and plastic netting. Leftover acrylic pieces from tap plastics, under $100 for sure. It's overpriced in my opinion, but I was too lazy and didn't have the acrylic cutting tools to make one at the time, unless it's a quality one like the Turbo Aquatics I think it would be more worth it. Making a Chaeto reactor may be an option too.

What about a marine pure block?
Yep, I've a had one of the big blocks of that in my sump since I set up the tank (almost 2 years now). If it's actually doing anything, I would hate to see what would happen if I took it out...

Marine Pure is what dropped me from 25 to around 10. The algae scrubber's work great, but you can build a macro reactor for $75.00 or so in about an hour and it does pretty much the same thing.

I have a DIY one, but it is probably way over-sized for your tank. Meant for a 300G system. Plus no pump.
I stopped using it.

I used them for years. Probably some old threads here on BAR on mine.
They work amazingly well to drop Nitrates.
The thing is, I ended up dosing Nitrates. Really.
Corals were starving, plus it helps eliminate Phosphates (N/P ratio thing)

Turbo Aquatics makes great ones. Floyd (the guy who sells them) is a good guy.
He sold me his flat LED panels for my DIY one.

Regarding Chaeto vs Waterfall Algae Scrubber:
A waterfall ATS is way more efficient. A different league. But same principle of course.
But as above, perhaps too good.
Waterfall ATS tends to leak more algae into main tank. The thin strands fall off, especially after cleaning.
So honestly, for a reef tank, I am not sure an ATS is best.
(For a fish only, I would have a giant one)

To the left of my skimmer:
http://www.bareefers.org/forum/attachments/sumpw-jpg.3780/

I have a 302 aquatics ats I bought used that has 4 x 20W lights rated for 125g tank. I haven't set it up yet though but will soon. It will replace my small fuge.

There are so many options. To reduce nitrates siporax and marine pure are great, carbon dosing is an options, ATS or chaeto reactor are other options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back