Our mission

Anyone had luck with Purple Queen Anthias?

I had a dream earlier (bad) about having bought some anthias and getting home and realizing they were purple queens and panicking about how they were all gonna die.

I had a male Bartlett that would be aggressive to fish smaller than itself. And anthias can be pretty aggressive towards their own kind, keeping a submissive female hiding all the time, etc. But in general, quite peaceful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have had great luck with them in the big tank and in smaller tanks. The key is twofold - get them eating all kinds of food in QT and them feed them many times during the day once out of QT. Most people just dump them in a tank and hope, which tends not to work.

Haven't kept them in awhile. Last set that I got weren't P. tuka but P. pascale instead. They came in with euronema and didn't clear quarantine.

I agree with Rich that you have to get them to eat and feed them often. The last P. tuka that I kept was back in 2012 and they were eating roe before I got them on pellets. They were then fed 8x a day via a couple of Eheim feeders. They got fat and were eventually given to Boun when I broke down that tank.

If you're looking at aggressiveness, from less to more:

dispars = purple queen, followed by ignitus, sunsets, bartletts, ventralis, bimacs

Here's the one of the dispar hanging out with one of the purple queen females in the background.
dispar%20041210.jpg

Back