Our mission

Phosphate and nitrate problem again

what is the most effective way to maintain PO4 and NO3? I am running to this problem time to time. I understand water change often is good way beside running GFO. Any new product or way to solve this issue?

Marine pure block for nitrate. Chaeto, in refugium or reactor. Nopox. Carbon dosing. Sulfur based denitrator.
Auto water change through apex with the dos pumps. Algae scrubber. Take your pick.

+ everything they said above, but also you could also investigate any other sources of nutrient buildup (sand that's trapping a bunch of detritus that can be "vacuumed" more, as an example)

What are your perimeters? The measures you may need to take, as mentioned above, will depend on what you would like it achieve.

Dick Flanagan

NOPOX is the easiest and most fool-proof, I think it would work with any size and setup. If you have a refugium, make sure you have a powerful correct-spectrum light like the H380, it makes all the difference.

If you have issues with both nitrate and phosphate, GFO isn’t great because it only addresses phosphate, leaving you out-of-balance.

As mentioned by everyone, the details matter, your testing levels, tank size/setup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tank is 150gal with 75gal sump. RO water is 1ppm, i don’t measure NO3 or PO4 for a while but notice tank glass has more algae oftern than before. Most of my coral does not look healthy. I have a refugium in the first compartment where drain water from the tank back to the sump. My Reef octopus 3000 skimmer remove good amount of junk. I have 5 tangs, 5 clown and 10 other fishs.

I use a sulfur denitrator and also a good h380 fuge light and chaeto reactor. Works great in controlling my nutrients

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wow 5 tangs, how do you keep the peace lol

Size of tank counts a lot towards that.

I have 4 tangs and there is no major aggression. There was some minor pecking order chasing (which the Desjardini sorted out very shortly) but it’s been quiet since.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow 5 tangs, how do you keep the peace lol

Also depends on types of tangs and how and when they are introduced. It's pretty easy to find examples of, for instance, tanks with 4 or 5 yellow tangs together. My much smaller tank has four tangs in it, but only two have a similar body type and those two worked things out early on. In fact, I often see three of them swimming and picking at sand and rock together.

My tank has... ok I'll just keep quiet, don't wanna alert the tang cops.
But I do believe adding smaller different body shapes (or the same if that's what you're going to do) at the same time is a solid idea.

My tank has... ok I'll just keep quiet, don't wanna alert the tang cops.
But I do believe adding smaller different body shapes (or the same if that's what you're going to do) at the same time is a solid idea.

Yeah but there's no aggression with your Tangs simply because they can't move. You have 7 of them in a 16 gallon peninsula thank and they can't reach one another.

So THAT’s the key! I better go and get more tangs to totally eliminate any aggression. Do you think 1/2” per gallon will solve the issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back