Cali Kid Corals

Apex COR beta starting

Anyone know why the 15 is so much more energy efficient than the 20? 1500/50 = 30 GPH/W. 2000/90 = 22 GPH/W

Is it the difference between direct DC powered from Apex vs AC to DC conversion from power brick? And if so, is that actually a legitimate way to compare, since the Apex is powered via an upstream AC/DC converter too?

My first thought is head height, a pump that is capable of pushing water higher with more flow will be less efficient than one that has a smaller head.

Great, some pressure/flow tables. The COR15 could be a bit better though...
Sump return versus top of DT are usually 3' or so lower.
Then you add in all the elbows, unions, and pipes, and you might be at 5' effectively.
That puts a COR-15 at around 700 GPH.
COR-20 is in a much better part of the curve.

Of course, they are coming up against a lot of other new pumps just out.
Like the new Jebao DCP sine wave pumps. Great specs, but Jebao is of course ... still Jebao.

Briefly looking at the Neptune pages, the 20 pushes a lot more water against head pressure, for example even at just 5 feet, the 20 is about 1500 GPH and the 15 is down to 700 GPH. So the advertised efficiency at max flow without head pressure wasn’t a good way for me to compare.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Seems the price difference is $50, or roughly an 18% increase in price. Is there really a reason you'd want to do the COR 15?

Also note as a DC pump you might not have these going full bore, so the wattage value is just that. I know with my DC return pump I only push it at about power level 2

Seems the price difference is $50, or roughly an 18% increase in price. Is there really a reason you'd want to do the COR 15?

Also note as a DC pump you might not have these going full bore, so the wattage value is just that. I know with my DC return pump I only push it at about power level 2

Good point ... why???

Also, I see no mention of using the new sinusoidal drivers.
So it is an antique before it ships. :)

Well the video does talk about in house made drivers.

I'm curious what exactly a sinusoidal driver does for a DC pump.

Reduced noise, slightly better efficiency. (At lower speeds like these pumps run)

Look up 3 phase sine wave BLDC motors if you want the gory details.

The cor 15 can be run off of the same plug as the WAVs (I forget their name for it) or plugged into the AC outlet. I think they really wanted this feature and so were limited by how much power it could use. I thought this was a great feature since I have one plug still available after having my two WAVs until I found out that I couldn’t power the WAVs and the COR 15 at the same time. Since that’s the case I’m going with the 20. What a great price too. I was expecting $400+ for it.

The cor 15 can be run off of the same plug as the WAVs (I forget their name for it) or plugged into the AC outlet. I think they really wanted this feature and so were limited by how much power it could use. I thought this was a great feature since I have one plug still available after having my two WAVs until I found out that I couldn’t power the WAVs and the COR 15 at the same time. Since that’s the case I’m going with the 20. What a great price too. I was expecting $400+ for it.
Makes sense, it's basically a USB port isn't it? So there is a maximum power that can be run over that.

Seems they priced it to compete with Ecotech's Vectra line, which is good IMO. Lets not pretend this is Abyzz level of pump, but on the other hand it's not Jebao either.

Back