Our mission

Stupidest statement in the hobby....

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
"Can be aggressive with newcomers so this fish should be added last."

Does that mean as other earlier fish die we can add anymore fish ever. That the "last fish" has to be the last fish swimming all alone. No one does that!

The idea is NOT to have fish die. Any aggressive fish should be added last. Will it cause issues if done otherwise? Maybe, maybe not. This is assuming you actually have a fish list and know what you want to add to the tank.

If you are more a get what strikes your fancy then this cannot apply to you since there is no last fish.

I gather you have not seen something like a Dottyback harass newly added basslets or fish of similar shape till they jump or die from stress?

Or newly added wrasses with no tail or fins because wrasses added earlier bit them all off?

I always thought it was because aggressive fish are more aggressive if they are already established when a new fish comes in to “their territory”, and less aggressive when introduced into a tank with existing established other fish.

We see the same thing with people in social groups like online hobby club forums. :)

I agree with what John (JVU) said above on general intent.

But I agree that it is highly questionable marketing.

You really should pick a tank style that suits you before you start buying fish.
Peaceful / Aggressive. And simply do not mix them.

But also consider:
Small / Large fish
Herbivores / Carnivores
It can really affect stocking and feeding plans.

Does that mean as other earlier fish die we can add anymore fish ever. That the "last fish" has to be the last fish swimming all alone. No one does that!
I understand where you are coming from, but that information is good for noobs who don't have a decent idea of stock order

Most fish, if well taken care of, will live for many years (10-20 depending on the fish) and if your fish are dying at a rate to where you need to constantly replace them you are doing something wrong.

This is a statement on territorial instinct, as opposed to say a shark that will literally try to eat the fish. So you put something in a new environment they will scope out the surroundings and maybe claim what is theirs. Now some fish are a little more aggressive than others at defending their territory, so having other "more peaceful" fish already established they will let new fish know that this is where they live, even if the newer fish does try to bully them out of it they probably would have an instinct to fight back, and like fighting back against bullies usually it doesn't take much to have them leave you alone. Now if you add the fish first, it will see everything as it's own, and defend it as such, where new fish coming in will be like "hmmm this place looks new" and the more aggressive fish is screaming "get off my lawn!!!" while chasing them around. The newer less aggressive fish simply is not afforded the opportunity to stake out a piece of property for their own.

But in general, yeah if you have a more peaceful fish die, replacing it in kind might not work. Typically these warnings are towards similar shaped fish though, i.e. tangs with other tangs, or clownfish with other clownfish, etc

Most fish, if well taken care of, will live for many years (10-20 depending on the fish) and if your fish are dying at a rate to where you need to constantly replace them you are doing something wrong.
What? They’re supposed to live that long? I thought they were supposed to die after a year or two. Don’t they breed them that way as a kind of planned obsolescence? Just as you’re starting to get bored of a fish it kicks the can to make room for a shiny new addition.

Just kidding.

Ok! I get it . It was a stupid post!
No such thing a stupid post - it got folks talking! :)

I wish I had been told this about my Cirrhilabrus isosceles, which I'd had for two years. Back in October I purchased a Vanuatu C. scottorum, C. labouti, C. exquisitus and a C. lubbocki. After 4 weeks in quarantine I put them in the display tank only for the C. isosceles to kill them all in about 6 hours :(

Sad thing is he died two weeks from carpet surfing (and the tank is fully covered - I have no idea how he got out, but he was BIG for a fairy wrasse).

Back