Our mission

I finally get to join the big tank club!

So I just pulled the trigger on buying a used oceanson 160g flat back hex. Dimensions are roughly 60"x21.5"x31.5". It's going to be a b**** to reach the bottom of the tank, but overall I am very happy with. So stoked to get it up and running. Looks like this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 267
If it is acrylic be sure to clean the panels very regularly. The coraline will be impossible to remove if it gets a foothold. I love the big tanks but after having a 240 acrylic it will be glass from now on.

Definitely glass, older tank, the website i found the picture on was a chinese website. Ive never seen a " new " flat back hex, think they are an old design. Imagine a regular rectangle or cube tank, with the corners cut on a 45 degree angle. Thats essentially what this tank is

I finally picked up the tank! Now I just have to clean it up and slowly piece it together. Can't wait to start a tank journal on this bad boy. It's really interesting how the front pane of glass is one piece. Normally when I see curves like with this tank, it's acrylic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 232
Nice!
Looking forward to the tank thread.
Interesting that it is glass. Lucky. I agree that Acrylic can be a pain (which is what I have)

What are dimensions?
It does not look like 60" long you mention above. Maybe 30" or 36"?

I pulled out the tape measure, it was 48" x 23 x 31.5 Oh well. I think I want make this a bare bottom SPS dominant reef. Low bioload, lots of flow throughout the tank. I think it would be to cool to have an encrusting coral cover the bottom

Back