Our mission

Breeding marine fish questions

So I've been researching breeding fish for a while. @Kim Pattison threads have been very helpful. It sounds like it can be a full time job lol. This is definitely something I would like to get into in the future. I was thinking I could build my own tanks if I can find glass/acrylic for cheap enough, or I was thinking about plumbing multiple 10g 20g long tanks to a single sump. My focus would be clowns to start off with and learn, and maybe some cardinals or orchid dotty backs. Eventually I would want to get into basslets, assessors, and gobies. It seems the toughest part would be the live food. BBS are relatively easy to hatch, rots and phyto don't sound too hard to grow, and tigger pods seem very easy to maintain. I was also reading about microworms, but those seem better for freshwater and from what I've read, seem to be on the nutritional level of BBS. Is there any other live foods similar size or smaller than rots that I am missing? And do we have any large scale marine fish hatcheries here in California?

We use TDO from Reed, we start the fry on it by the time they are 7 days. By the time they go thru Meta we feed exclusive TDO until we are preparing them for rehoming in the grow out system. We do not use BBS except as a treat. If you or anyone is interested in taking a look at what we have going on let me know. I know we are a bit out there.

Thanks Kim! I'm in Brentwood, so you aren't too awfully far from me. Also, what size flowerpots do you use, and what do you use to get such a clean cut when cutting them in half?

We use TDO from Reed, we start the fry on it by the time they are 7 days. By the time they go thru Meta we feed exclusive TDO until we are preparing them for rehoming in the grow out system. We do not use BBS except as a treat. If you or anyone is interested in taking a look at what we have going on let me know. I know we are a bit out there.

Do they take the small TDO at that age or do you soak it and pulverize it? Just curious.

Thanks Kim! Would it be worth my time (savings wise) to build my own breeding tanks, or would I be better off buying 10s and 20s and plumbing them together?

You can just use 10 gallon tanks to breed in until you can find some divided tanks to pick up. We hatch in 20 talls. The growout system is the big one in reality.

Back