Cali Kid Corals

What are you using for powerheads ?

Vortech's, MP10's and MP40's. I really like the MP10's, but the MP40's are not my favorite. Mine need to be cleaned pretty frequently and it seems every month or two, one "decouples" and I have to fish out the wetside and reconnect.

I am using 6 of these. 1,300 gph and the best part, only $12 each
s-l1600.jpg

Rossmont Wavers have so far given me a good mix between affordable (i.e. not Tunze/Vortech level of price), power/energy ratio, and not crapping out over a year or so because the driver is horribly made, or the power supply is horribly made or the pump is horribly made.

Rossmont Wavers have so far given me a good mix between affordable (i.e. not Tunze/Vortech level of price), power/energy ratio, and not crapping out over a year or so because the driver is horribly made, or the power supply is horribly made or the pump is horribly made.

Rossmont's are the best value on the market for quality Powerheads.

Maxspect gyre XF250’s. One on each side of the 160g display, alternating gyre. Much better than the (admittedly older) Vortech’s I also have but no longer use in my main tank.

I have found 1 issue with the Rossmonts. They put out a fair amount of EMI. Enough to cause erroneous readings in pH and Salinity probes.

WAVs in the 190 n MP10s in the 40b

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried a LOT of powerheads.
Koralia Magnum : cheap, very quiet, low energy use, but tend to die in a year or less.
Koralia Gen3 : Very low flow for what is advertised. Clog easy. Avoid.
Tunze : good, expensive, not that power efficient, quite, very adjustable direction, very reliable.
Rossmont : Noisy, and seem like flow is lower than advertised, but not bad.
MPxx : Nice, but you cannot direct flow, and you must carefully align wet/dry sides.
Gyre : Nice, but noisy. But I had an early generation, supposedly quieter now.
Jabao : Cheap, slightly noisy, but pretty good in general.

So my general suggestion: Tunze

Gyre XF-230 on one side, jebao wp-10 and wp-25. Will get another gyre when I can and sell the other two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back