Cali Kid Corals

Lets Play A Game

Hello guys!

So, the other day I met up with @JVU and he showed me his huge tank. My fav part was, when ever I asked about a coral he knew exactly what the name of it was. This made me want to learn the name of all the corals living in my tank.

Anyways back to the game.

I'll post some pictures and lets see whos fastest to name them!
Try to limit your self to name only one, to share the fun with others.

Nplexfk.png

WgfCGVm.png

FyhgZZG.png

1ToMuE4.jpg

SQmsUm6.png

ONtaJdP.png

8C5Cmer.png

9fqUFHZ.png

mVjqLsB.png

46CKW8j.png

Tomorrow, when the lights come on, I will get more photos of coral that I do not know or have saved photos.
I plan to update my google spread sheet with photos, dates, names. To keep track of everything inside my tank.

Thanks guys for your help!

There's two kinds of people in this hobby. Those that know every name including scientific and those that say, "ahhh... heck I can't remember the name of that one. I knew it when I bought it...."

There's two kinds of people in this hobby. Those that know every name including scientific and those that say, "ahhh... heck I can't remember the name of that one. I knew it when I bought it...."
Yeah, and you know who you are.

I’m going to go with #10 being a candy cane coral. I’ve also seen it called a trumpet coral. Oh, and I guess there’s a cyphestria in there too. Probably a meteor shower.

Lesse 1. plague of newbies
2. Common color zoanthid morph but we'll make an awesome sounding name anyways
3. That little frag that you'd think would be a lot bigger by now
4. Hey it's from Australia, this is worth $100 more torch!
5. It's red and blue, I should call it Superman, that'd be so original
6. Bathed in blue is how the reef really looks!
7. It's a blastomussa wellsi... literally that is the most common color morph, but why did it cost me $50 for a polyp?
8. Bird of Paradise pretty now until it grows into a tangled mess, most of it gets shaded and the fancy color goes away
9. Orange Crush acan echinata aka the only thing known that will out sting aiptasia
10. What kind of drugs did you take the last time you saw a meteor shower to think this what you should call it?

Haha. pretty amusing responses tho!
my fav is "10. What kind of drugs did you take the last time you saw a meteor shower to think this what you should call it?"

im a little bit of both, I like to know the names, but I dont always remember all of them. Id say I know about 90% Of the names of my corals

Love the selection of corals you have! #5 Rhodactis (not sure if it has a special name for that color). I'm very intrigued by this one because of how cool it looks but also how deadly it can be if it touches another coral. I've seen a vid of a rodactis just destroying an acan.

Last edited:

There is a third kind - that never know the names. Corals are basically:
Mushrooms
Little flower like softies
Wavy softies
Stony stick like ones
Stony encrusting ones
"LPS" which essentially means soft+stony, for everything else.

Love the selection of corals you have! #5 Rodactis (not sure if it has a special name for that color). I'm very intrigued by this one because of how cool it looks but also how deadly it can be if it touches another coral. I've seen a vid of a rodactis just destroying an acan.

Uh oh, I’ve got mine right next to my acans and blastos.

I like to know coral names, both popular and scientific, to have a better idea if I’m buying a coral that I do/don’t already have, and to help with the question, “ is this the same coral that i already have, but perhaps it looks slightly different because of the lights this person is using”.

1. Green Mushroom (the common ones)
2. Fire n ice
3. Hollywood stunner challice
4. Torch (gold? )
5. Another corallimorph/mushroom , probably ricordia, need a close up photo
6. Green bay packers zoa
7. Blastomussa
8. Pink bridsnest (seriatopora)
9. Rainbow acan (need close up photo)
10. Cyphastrea (one of the bizarror or sunset or something... need a photo with polyps open)

there are a lot of different things all together in each of the categories,
like in mushrooms/corallimorphs itself, you can get plain mushrooms or ricordia and another one (cant recall name)
on the flowery side, you can have anything from zoa/paly to goniopora/micro goniopora/alveopora (which is LPS).. vastly different things
on teh encrusting side there is cyphastrea (LPS), challices (LPS), and then montis (SPS).. vastly different.

Back