Raffle or Auction?

• Raffle

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • Auction

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

Corallus

Supporting Member
For the April frag swap, what we’re planning to do is primarily raffle or auction (more about this in a minute) donations from our members! We as a club would like to solicit members who have particularly nice frags or other livestock they are planning on bringing to the swap, to donate one of them to our raffle/auction. We don’t need a lot of items, but they should be things that really get people’s attention, that you as a coral propagator are proud to pass on as a part of helping the club. There aren’t really any rules per se, but if you are interested in donating something, it would be great to post it here, ideally with a pic to help get people excited about it!

Now for the raffle/auction part. We discussed this at the BoD meeting last weekend, with no real decision about which we should do – so, if I can get the poll widget working, we’ll vote on it!

I’ll start things off, I’ll be bringing a 4-5” deresa clam I’ve have for a little over a year. Terrible pic below, I'll try to get a better one before the swap.
clam.jpg

My vote would be to do both. Anything over say a $100 value would be auctioned anything under can go to the raffle.

I like the thought of the auction because after the swap the raffle goes really quickly and is almost an after thought, where as an auction would be more engaging.

Presumably John is also offering to be the auctioneer since he will be the announcer? The question is can you say nonsense really fast over and over to get us all fired up?

For raffle items, I prefer when we raffle individual items or maybe logical groupings, as opposed to larger groups of things. That way I can put my tickets in what I’m interested in.

If doing an auction, prevent sniping by adding 10 seconds after the last bid is received and doing a final call. Otherwise, you’ll get someone bidding with 1 second left and nobody has the opportunity to counter...Not cool ;)

If doing an auction, prevent sniping by adding 10 seconds after the last bid is received and doing a final call. Otherwise, you’ll get someone bidding with 1 second left and nobody has the opportunity to counter...Not cool ;)
Sounds like someone who wants to be an auctioneer....

Based on the responses, looks like there will be 5-6 nice pieces of livestock....I think that's a great start.

Please let me know if anyone coming from the Mountain View area can pick up our small frag tank from @mray2660? It turns out that I cannot get out that way between now and the frag swap. If not, I can bring/setup a couple of my 29g longs. Also, I don't remember who ended up with the Kessil light? Does anyone know?

Back