High Tide Aquatics

Monti Care

If two montis I have are bleaching, is there anything I can do actively besides dipping them for pests and moving them around in my tank for less/more lighting or flow?

I actually got them bleached. Dipped for 5 minutes. No visible pests. They tend to like strong lighting im assuming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As @coralreefer said, probably too much light. I would move them to a lower light spot and then gradually move them to higher light.

Bleaching usually means too much light. Some montis like a lot, others not so much. What ones did you get?
+1. In my experience monti bleaching can be caused by transfer to a much higher alkalinity/alk spike, too intense light, and/or low potassium. I would let bleached montis recover at the bottom of your tank in high flow and make sure your trace element levels are good. You can also feed them reef roids if the polyps are out since they are probably not getting much nutrition from lack of zooxanthellae.

Thanks for all the tips!!

I run whites 8 hours a day and all the others minus green and red light at 100% for 10 hours. Everything has been growing crazy fast.

Thanks for all the tips!!

I run whites 8 hours a day and all the others minus green and red light at 100% for 10 hours. Everything has been growing crazy fast.

What percentage on the whites? I would say you are pushing it with the blues set at 100 as well. With that much intensity I doubt you'll get much to Be happy up top right away. Definitely need to acclimate over time. Or lower the intensity, which is what I would do. Lights will last longer that way as well.

Also, you are going to need to manage alkalinity one way or another. Water changes alone ain't gonna cut it. Manual dosing, dosing pump, Karl, calcium reactor. Pick one and start asap.

Also, you are going to need to manage alkalinity one way or another. Water changes alone ain't gonna cut it. Manual dosing, dosing pump, Karl, calcium reactor. Pick one and start asap.

Okay I will lower intensity. I have white 60%. The acclimation setting puts everything 50% of my setting so is 50% everything and 30% whites okay or put it less?

Ive been neglecting setting up my doser and reactors but Ill try to set them up today :(.

I usually don't get whites past 40-50 percent and blues between 60-80 on those fixtures. I like to keep red like 10 and green less than 20. Those are the full blast settings and I ramp up and down from zeros for 2 hours each with full blast 4-5 hours in between.

Hmmm. Only reason I put my lights high in the first place was cause a really high end grower said to have them this strong. Is that true stronger lights can =better color and more growth?

Hmmm. Only reason I put my lights high in the first place was cause a really high end grower said to have them this strong. Is that true stronger lights can =better color and more growth?

Lot of info missing from that statement that could lead you astray. What was he growing? How how were the lights mounted? How deep was the tank?

Back