got ethical husbandry?

vinegar splashed into RO water container

So I had my powerhead running in vinegar to clean it out and it switched positions and shot out onto my floor and Im sure some splashed into RO water that I use for top off. Is that a problem ?

Agree, if it’s just a little and will be added slowly in top off it’s no big deal. You might grow a little more bacteria than usual in the top off container but I doubt it will be noticeable.

Vinegar dosing is a type of carbon dosing like Vodka dosing and NOPOX. They all work to reduce free nutrients like nitrate and phosphate and thereby can help with algae.

This is totally separate and unrelated to activated carbon, like carbon bags/reactors.

The pluses and minuses are a big topic you could spend many hours learning about :)

I've heard of people doing that as a nitrate and phosphate reducer. Or to combat cyano. Any other benefits? Is vinegar dosing done as an alternative to carbon reactors/bags or in addition to it? Any potential drawbacks?

No real drawback to carbon dosing unless you ramp it up too quickly generally. I prefer Vinegar after much trial and error to NoPox or Vodka because while I found the other two to be very beneficial they did produce small outbreaks of Cyano soon after I hit a target dose. Vinegar doesn't do that.

Back